2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Radio has power but no sound?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 08:24 PM
primus454
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio has power but no sound?!?

Okay so this started yesterday on a radio that has worked fine for months. I was driving down the road and all of a sudden, the radio stops working. I turn the truck off and back on and the radio WORKS! for about 10 seconds...it cut out again and I was not able to revive it after that. It still had power but no sound. After some fooling around I realized the speakers still popped when the radio was first turned on.

Today I took it to BestBuy and got another unit under warranty and it worked the first time I powered it up, but I killed the power and then turned it on back again and it was back to the same situation.

Additional info: It is not run through an amp, its straight to the speakers; it powers up without the ground being attached to anything; there still is no sound even with a ground that should work (battery negative terminal); all the fuses are okay; it does this on any source--radio, cd, ipod, you name it.

Please halp

Old 10-18-2009, 09:00 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You probably have a shorted speaker wire somewhere in the truck. Aftermarket radios will mute the speaker outputs to prevent damage to the unit if there is a shorted speaker lead. Next time the sound stops, pull the radio, unplug it and check all 4 speaker leads for continuity to ground. Once you find the short, it may be easier to just run a new speaker wire from the radio to that speaker, rather than spending all day trying to find where it is shorted.

It could also be that the speaker terminal is touching metal behind the speaker location. In that case, use duct tape around the edge of the speaker mounting hole to insulate it. It could also be a shorted speaker causing the problem too. One way to test the speakers individually is to turn the balance and fader to each one independently and at each speaker crank the volume up really loud really fast. Or you can have the sound on and push the cone of the speaker with your finger. Either way you test it, if the speaker starts working again it probably has a bad spot in is voice coil.

Jimmy

Old 10-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Architectural Drafter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was my stereo, I would try checking the speaker wires. If the amp has protection circuitry, a speaker wire open to ground, or the positive open to the negative wire, could make the amp shut down to protect it. Maybe the wiring to one of the door speakers has been pinched? Or the insulation has been rubbed through somewhere.

Quick Reply: Radio has power but no sound?!?