2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 Half Shaft Replacement Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:37 AM
matthewreinsmith
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Half Shaft Replacement Help

I’m working on replacing the half shafts (automatic Transmission)

All the documentation and posts I’ve read indicate that the shafts should come out without having to remove the upper or lower control arm ball joints.

However, When I went to release the Half Shaft the spline on the inner side (I think they call it the axle shaft) pulled out of the transfer case. The way they describe the procedure, the axle shaft is not supposed to pull out.

I still can’t get a clear answer whether this is supposed to happen. So now I have two problems I need to address before I’ll feel comfortable working on the Passenger side.

1 – I’m assuming I should replace the Bearings in the transfer case at this point?

2 – How do I get the spline off the inner side of the half shaft. I’ve read there is a puller to do the Job, but I need to find where to get one. Unless there is a more practical way to do it? (it is really seized in there)

My fear of course is now the Transfer case is screwed up, but I don’t think that is case, I just need to be sure before I go any farther

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

M

Quick Reply: 2002 Half Shaft Replacement Help