2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

02/V6 dakota starts then dies

Old 04-28-2010, 12:29 AM
rpowell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rctk1
Hi Guys! newb here! My wifes truck wouldnt start unless the gas is pumped and pressed while turning the ignition, once the foot is off the peddle the truck would die out. i was able to get the truck moving while riding the brake and using the gas to keep the idle high, after a few minutes of doing this the truck ran fine. a check engine light came on also during this problem. We live in hawaii so the cold temp is not an issue. i also tried to use jumper cables in the event it was a weak battery but that wasnt it,can anyone tell me what could be causing the problem? thanks
Did you figure it out?

Old 04-28-2010, 01:09 AM
Independentfool
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it should go out if the problem is fixed, after a couple cycles of the error not occurring again. It will be stored in memory though. It could be a different issue altogether so you should get it scanned, and like someone else said, parts stores can do that for you for free.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:20 AM
rctk1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys! Sorry for not responding sooner, shortly after posting this message my wifes truck ran fine, well today the problem occured again. I tried to jumpstart the battery hoping the extra power will be enough to start the vehicle but it didnt, I also sprayed some carb cleaner into the air intake and that didnt help. I tried to get the codes from the vehicle but it keeps showing "P Done", I'll try and replace the IAC as suggested. if there are any other tests that i can do in the mean time it would be much appreciated. thanks

Old 05-16-2010, 12:40 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rctk1
Hi Guys! Sorry for not responding sooner, shortly after posting this message my wifes truck ran fine, well today the problem occured again. I tried to jumpstart the battery hoping the extra power will be enough to start the vehicle but it didnt, I also sprayed some carb cleaner into the air intake and that didnt help. I tried to get the codes from the vehicle but it keeps showing "P Done", I'll try and replace the IAC as suggested. if there are any other tests that i can do in the mean time it would be much appreciated. thanks
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2102542-post3.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02/V6 dakota starts then dies