2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 dakota 4.7 AWD lower ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:25 AM
ChadB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 dakota 4.7 AWD lower ball joints

Hey everyone,
I believe I got a bad lower ball joint (driver side) from the noise I get from that side while driving. I already had the uppers done thru a recall, but after some investigating and advice from people, it seems my lower ones are going now. I'd like to try to do it myself and have been trying to research the procedure. I got the manual, which isnt much help. From checking out some of your posts, I gather I need to press the old ones out and it seems moog makes a pretty good replacement. Now, I wanna try to eliminate most of the room for error within my control, like making sure I get the right stuff. So far, my plan is to get the ball joint press sold at harbor freight. Next, buy some new ball joints online. Then, the proverbial get er done! My truck is a 2002 dakota quad cab 4.7 8 cyl. Now the thing Im a little wary about is it's all wheel drive. Would the ball joints for a 4wd be the same fit. Someone told me I was gonna have to replace the whole lower arm. Is that true or are they pressed in. I guess any other advice as well about procedure would help. I just wanna go into this knowing what needs to be done, and just don't wanna get half of it all apart and find out the ball joints I got don't fit or it just wasn't meant to be done without replacing the whole arm. thanks in advance. I think I got some time before my wheel falls off. lol. It's funny how I gotta think like this. If only dodge would've done it right from the start...

Quick Reply: 2002 dakota 4.7 AWD lower ball joints