2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 Dakota PCM bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:27 PM
TheDad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea where the oil comes from. Connectors are dirty but not oily. No external evidence of oil. When engine quits I get the no buss message. I remove the connector closest to the firewall, clean out the oil and everything is ok until it happens again. First time it happened I couldn't believe it either.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:28 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, i need to see pics of this. im still skeptical but wow.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:31 PM
TheDad

Dan, thanks for the idea on the power steering fluid. I'll check it in the am.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:53 AM
e-racer

I am also having a nobus issue with the random flashing warning lights going off. My PCM connector closest to the firewall is also oil soaked. I used electrical contact cleaner yet the problems persist. I replaced the power steering pressure sensor awhile back as it was pushing oil in to my harness and was making an erroneous o2 sensor code.

So it looks like my PCM is fried because of the oil. Is the oil coming from the replaced power steering pressure sensor or something else?

Originally Posted by thunder98110
oil IN the connections to the PCM??? not even possible.
Picture for the closed minded know it all:

78e589e4.jpg

Last edited by e-racer; 11-29-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:28 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default wow thats strange

So you have cleaned it out and it came back are you sure it’s an oil not dirt water seeping out have you pried back the connector tape to see if the oil is in the wire harness maybe the wire harness is acting like a sponge and pulling the oil from some other place.

Or maybe the inside of the PCM has an oil inside it I know a number of electrical devices use oil as a coolant this could be the case its brown and looks like engine oil only because its old.

Check this link out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer_oil

Old 11-29-2011, 07:10 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to have an oil leak on the back of the engine, getting on the wiring harness and it's 'wicking' up thru the wiring harness to the PCM connector. First try to locate the oil leak then cut and remove some of the tape around the wiring harness at the lowest point before it makes the turn up to the PCM. This will allow the oil to drain out before it can reach the connector. Di-electric spray cleaner should clean up the oil that's already there.

I would suspect you have an oil leak at the oil pressure switch or at the back of the intake manifold.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dakota PCM bad