So I did the change on the distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, and the wires. The first thing I noticed is the gap on the old plugs were way off. A 2000 Dakota 3.9L Magnum calls for a .40 gap. These were between .50 and .60. I replaced what looked to be the cheapest distributor cap known to man (aluminum terminals) with a Summit Racing brass terminal cap. The rotor I used was also a Summit Racing rotor. I used Summit Racing 8mm wires and NGK V Power copper plugs (gaped correctly I might add). Fired up the Dakota and all is good. Last thing now on my tune up list is the transmission filter and fluid.