2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Ditchin A/C

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:54 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ditchin A/C

Well I think my compressor is going I can hear it groaning when the clutch is engaged. I can also feel the drag on my engine when it engages. Since its currently 21 degrees out I wont be needing it for awhile plus it doesnt work that well anyway. So if I unplug the wiring connector the clutch wont be engaged right? Im going to get a junk yard belt sometime next week I think im going to also pull my clutch fan too.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:16 AM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do believe that will work. Never tried it, but it does make sense.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:30 AM
00dakSport
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you mean you haven;t ditched the clutch fan yet? youll love the way the mottor sounds w/o it. or are your gonna bypass the pulley too? i think people do that with the a/c, idk if the plug will help anything tho.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:34 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by 00dakSport
you mean you haven;t ditched the clutch fan yet? youll love the way the mottor sounds w/o it. or are your gonna bypass the pulley too? i think people do that with the a/c, idk if the plug will help anything tho.
Well I dont have the efan like the 4.7's a 3.7's do. I have to go pick up a taurus fan sometime when it starts getting warmer.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:15 PM
DodgeLives
Amateur

I had the AC Clutch go bad on my '98, parts houses can sell you a belt for your truck with out AC. If it (AC) is going out just unplugging it will keep it from engaging but I would still strongly suggest you get the belt and completely isolate the AC, because if the noise your hearing is the clutch it could freeze up and leave you stranded. Does this sound like the voice of experience ?

Old 01-17-2011, 01:27 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Im pretty sure what it sounds like to me is the a/c. I havent really been under the hood to check it out. I've been busy this past week and then I got to take my dam sat's so this week might be pretty crappy. I still didnt get to paint my wheels yet ill hopefully get that done tues and while the paint is drying ill take a quick run down to the junk yard and try to find a non a/c belt.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Motorbreath
Rookie

I just bypassed my A/C with a shorter belt like 2 weeks ago because the bearing is going bad and it drove me nuts. Again, with the weather we got in Central PA, a new A/C compressor is not very high on my priority list. You might want to throw the other belt on every once in a while and run the ac for a bit so the seals don't go bad. And do your home work, I believe the belt from a non-AC dakota will be too short. This is the NAPA belt that fits good for me : 25-070905.

Last edited by Motorbreath; 01-17-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Ditchin A/C