2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

review of falken rocky mountain tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:32 AM
BoeingMan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default review of falken rocky mountain tires

Last month I bought a set of Falken Rocky Mountain tires from "Discount Tire" store. Tire size was stock at 31x10.5x15 and they were mounted on the stock rims that came with my truck. (see sig at bottom of post)

Here is a quick review of my experience with this tire.

The good:

They looked very, very nice on the Dakota in that they looked beefy with a nice tread pattern. They had low road noise going down the highway. Good wet traction at lower speeds. Did not try wet traction at higher speeds.

Good "straight line" traction on the paved roads at low and high speeds. See below for traction in turns.

Seems it is made with plenty of tread that it will last you about 50,000 plus miles. It's advertised for this mileage as well.

The bad:

Very unstable tire when making turns. This is due to the side walls being way to soft. It seems that the rear end of the truck over shoots the turn before tracking with the rest of truck. The tire tread doesn't over shoot/skid but the sidewalls are too soft that they give you the sensation of it. Gives the truck a "wishy-washy-mushy" feel to it. This happens at higher speeds above 45 mph. It's OK at lower/slower speeds. I tried different inflation pressures with no improvements.

Adequate in the snow. Not great but adequate plus.

Very good in gravel and dirt and going over curbs at low speeds. I did not test this at higher speeds.

Did not test tire in heavy off road conditions.

I wound up returning the tires because Falken brand tires and discount tires were having a 30day satisfaction guarantee and return if not satisfied. It was a shamed cause they looked very nice in the showroom and installed on the tire. However the truck felt unsafe and it was a deal breaker for me.

I heard falken makes good "on" road tires but this is falkens first attempt at "off" road tires. I suspect they will make the sidewalls stiffer on there next attempt and they might have a winner at that time. As for these first generation falkens I tried them and was not satisfied enough to keep.

It is important to note that Discount Tire here in Indianapolis were great through out this entire process. I purchased the tire at a good price. They mounted and balanced them
with no problems. I was in and out in about an hour. When I returned them they honored the return and replaced them with BF Goodrich at a good price with no problems either. Excellent experience with discount tire.

Hope this helps others.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:44 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats where I got my tires from and I must say service was excellent and had my tires in 4 days that was from tx I believe. I will be going back there for all my other tire purchases.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:59 AM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend who is Asst. manager @ Discount tire. He has always done me and my family right on tires. Others who have helped me there have also been very helpful, never had a problem.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:44 PM
cowboy63645
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running the Falken High Country A/T tires on the front of my farm truck, have been on there for the last 10K or so (99 dodge ext cab dually 4x4) and they seem to be doing great! No roll or soft feeling, cause if they did they would have come off! I haul a 28' gooseneck stock trailer and cant have anything that makes the truck wonder, especially with a load on. Thanks for the review as I was actually looking at these for my next tires for the dakota.

Quick Reply: review of falken rocky mountain tires