2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Outside Air leak coming from under dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:21 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Outside Air leak coming from under dash

If It's not one thing its another...
So, I have noticed that I have a air 'leak' somewhere under my dash, I've looked at everything going through the firewall and cant seem to find a 'lead' of grommets or anything to that effect, checked all the vacuum lines, they are find and working you can see the components moving as you switch mode to mode, no degrade in the flow from the fan either..

Was wondering if anyone had a similar problem, it does not matter if the system is 'off' or on running full blast, there is some air leak.. and was hoping to see if anyone had this similar problem and how to fix it before I tear apart the whole dash..

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:13 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a blend door not closing the whole way

Old 02-02-2011, 01:48 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

As in the blend door that makes it go from outside air to in?
Wouldn't that just suck from inside and out.. or you thinking the force of the 'ram air effect' being created on the inbound outside air is forcing it to come through the inlet for inside the cab?

Old 02-02-2011, 02:13 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Im thinking either your actuator isnt holding the door shut enough or part of your door is broken which is leaving in a small amount of air. dodges have a problem with blend doors.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:31 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have a leak somewhere in mine also. The Stealership tore my air box up and finally replaced it. Then I had the air leak, they said they didn't know what it was. I gave up when I had asked them to store the truck inside over night while they were looking at it. I went by the Stealership around midnight and my truck was outside. Upon further investigation on my part I noticed they left the keys in the ignition. I got in it and drove it home at midnight. Imagine how they felt the next morning when my truck was gone. I was not a happy camper. Sorry didn't mean to rant.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:00 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

I would of had a friend steal it then go in to pick it up and have them apologize dearly maybe gotten some free service then tell them oh btw I had my buddy drive it home last night.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:23 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't have anyone to help me, I live out in the country, I am sure they were very worried until I called them and told them I had the truck. Pucker factor was well underway for them. They couldn't apologize enough, they are out of business now. They got closed down a few years ago when there was the rash of stealerships closing. Too bad too, because they had been in an old run down stealership for years and had just moved and built a new building which is now empty.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:40 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

SO that requires that I dismantle the dash correct?

Lets say I do have a door blend problem.. if its stuck open or half open w/e would be safe to say if i blocked off the inlet from the outside.. it shoudl still grab its air from inside right?

Old 02-03-2011, 02:02 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Ok.. Resolved this one, thanks everyone that gave me advise and imput..

Thread on resolution here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...w-details.html

Quick Reply: Outside Air leak coming from under dash