2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Manual crank window hard to roll up and down

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 01:25 PM
MaximRecoil
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual crank window hard to roll up and down

The problem is not the regulator, because the regulator works fine without the window attached to it, and the window glass has a lot of resistance to being manually pushed up and down even when the regulator is not attached. It is as if the weather stripping has too much friction against the glass.

My window was recently reglued to the regulator strips because they came off the window when I started to roll it down when there was ice frozen around the window. The window rolled up and down hard prior to that happening too.

In any event, when the body man was looking at it prior to regluing it, he wondered why the window was so hard to manually push up or down. I asked if maybe some lubricant could be used on the weather stripping, and he said no, it would make it worse because it damages the weather stripping or something.

However, there is this post from a forum:

OK to properly grease the rubber tracks that the windows ride in, you need to go to a parts place and pick up a can on "3M DRY silicon spray lubricant" Make sure it is the dry type. do not use white lithium either, because it is bad for the rubber. That is a common problem with just about every car with power or manual windows. the rubber drys out and it takes so much effort to move the window that sometimes the motor can't move it. Try the spray first before tearing everything apart and replacing stuff. Just roll the window down and use the straw to spray down the channels of the tracks. Then roll the window up and down a few times. Repeat if needed. Doing this once every 6 months- 1 year will help keep the rubber in good shape.
He acknowledges that some lubricants can damage the rubber like the body man said, but he says that 3M dry silicone spray is fine (I happen to already have a can of that exact stuff, I use it on some of my arcade machine joysticks).

So does anyone here know if 3M dry silicone spray is okay to use, and if not, is there any other solution apart from maybe buying new weather stripping?

Old 02-04-2011, 02:58 PM
MaximRecoil
Professional

I decided to let my truck be the guinea pig, since I already have the 3M dry silicone spray kicking around. The initial results are great (time will tell if it stays that way). The window now rolls up and down slick and easy, better even than the passenger-side window (and I have no complaints about the passenger-side window).

Old 02-26-2011, 12:37 AM
89newbie
Captain

This is gonna sound stupid but before I heard about the 3-m had terrible problems with Mrs.Newbies windows on her 89. PAM cooking stuff fixed it all.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:00 AM
MaximRecoil
Professional

Originally Posted by 89newbie
This is gonna sound stupid but before I heard about the 3-m had terrible problems with Mrs.Newbies windows on her 89. PAM cooking stuff fixed it all.
I've seen PAM mentioned as a fix for this problem too. I liked the idea of 3M dry silicone spray specifically because it is dry (well, it is wet at first, but it dries quickly leaving behind a silicone film). I figured if I used PAM, my window would always be oily.

BTW, my window still works fine, as good as it did the first day I applied the 3M spray 3 weeks ago.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:18 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your windows are hard to open you can always go this route!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLsyM2Crhew

Quick Reply: Manual crank window hard to roll up and down