2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dodge Dakota will not run after transmission fluid changed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 04:02 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

If the seal was out of place then you'll get air in the system. Have you cycled it through the ranges, waiting a few seconds between gears.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:06 PM
jrossjr79
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
If the seal was out of place then you'll get air in the system. Have you cycled it through the ranges, waiting a few seconds between gears.
yep cycled through each range waiting 5 seconds on each.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:44 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I wouldn't consider a rebuild until you have the pressures checked and any codes read. Was the transmission working fine before you changed the fluid?
How was the fluid, was there much crap in the pan?

The linkage is on correctly? All electrical connectors?

There is a way to check the pump output volume if you want. It can help tell you how well the pump is working.

Last edited by 00DakDan; 02-18-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: add pump volume
Old 02-18-2011, 04:58 PM
jrossjr79

I wouldn't consider a rebuild until you have the pressures checked and any codes read. Was the transmission working fine before you changed the fluid?
How was the fluid, was there much crap in the pan?

The linkage is on correctly? All electrical connectors?

There is a way to check the pump output volume if you want. It can help tell you how well the pump is working.
Transmission was working before I changed the fluid and filters. Except it had bubbles on the dipstick. Guessing because I either had to much or not enough fluid in it. Was no contamination from other liquids in pan. Also fluid was just a shade darker. Looked pretty good, smell as though it was just starting to burn out. Was hoping I was catching it in time.

Did not have much crap in the pan, maybe less than 1/4 of teaspoon.

Linkage was checked and moves on tranny like it is suppose to when changed from the steering column. All electrical connectors are in place.

How do I check to see if pump is working? And I know there is a way to test the pressure, but I do not know how to do so, having trouble finding info on web.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:02 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Suggestion: download the 2000 factory service manual, link on forum page. There are only a few small difference between a 99 and 2000. It has the 45RFE in it.

Jeeps also use the 45RFE when searching the web.

Check for volume first, to see if the pump is working. Disconnect the "to" cooler line, place a container under it, then let the engine run at idle. In 20 seconds or less you should have a quart of fluid.

I doubt it is a mechanical failure. It hasn't moved.
It could be hydraulic, are you getting pressure?
It could also be electrical, if a connection is undone.

The easiest way to get the pressures is to use a scan tool, the DRB at a dealer.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:48 PM
jrossjr79

Suggestion: download the 2000 factory service manual, link on forum page. There are only a few small difference between a 99 and 2000. It has the 45RFE in it.

Jeeps also use the 45RFE when searching the web.

Check for volume first, to see if the pump is working. Disconnect the "to" cooler line, place a container under it, then let the engine run at idle. In 20 seconds or less you should have a quart of fluid.

I doubt it is a mechanical failure. It hasn't moved.
It could be hydraulic, are you getting pressure?
It could also be electrical, if a connection is undone.

The easiest way to get the pressures is to use a scan tool, the DRB at a dealer.
Is the to cooler on the tranny itself, just trying to make sure I am reading the manual right. Also on scanning tools, trying to find a loaner from an auto part store. Autozone has a ODB Scan Tool, will this work, or does it have to be a DRB?

Old 02-18-2011, 06:55 PM
bigreed91
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly dont know about our trucks cause i havent looked but from past vehicles your tranny lines run to the bottom of your radiator if this helps

Old 02-18-2011, 07:00 PM
jrossjr79

Originally Posted by bigreed91
I honestly dont know about our trucks cause i havent looked but from past vehicles your tranny lines run to the bottom of your radiator if this helps
Ok, that makes it even easier to access, however how do I tell which one is the one that runs to the cooler?

Old 02-18-2011, 07:10 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The only way I know is to follow the oil cooler lines. The top one on the transmission is the line TO the cooler. The line you want to disconnect.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:20 PM
jrossjr79

The only way I know is to follow the oil cooler lines. The top one on the transmission is the line TO the cooler. The line you want to disconnect.
Found it, still wondering if a odb scanner will work or not though.

Also, If all else fails, I may go buy a brand new Tranny. Anyone know a cheap place. I found one for 1800 but father in law swears I can find them cheaper. Thanks

Quick Reply: Dodge Dakota will not run after transmission fluid changed.