2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dodge Dakota will not run after transmission fluid changed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:09 PM
jrossjr79
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dodge Dakota will not run after transmission fluid changed.

I decided to take care of a few things on my 2001 dodge dakota 4.7 earlier today. Changed out my Thermostat, did oil and filter change, and did transmission fluid and filters as well.

Once I got all my fluids back in the truck, I proceeded to run through each gear, Park, Reverese, Nuetral, Drive, 1, & 2. I could of sworn that it engaged all the gears. Had to add more fluid, had 4 originally so I added a fifth. Ran back through all the gears, fluid level was good. I shut my truck off so I could put away everything. Decided to bring the truck to the back to put it away for the night. However, truck does not move. It starts up, it seems to shift into gear (at times, sometimes I can feel it, sometimes I cant). Give it gas in Drive, Reverse, 1, or 2 and it just revs up the engine, no movement. Put it in Neutral and I can push the truck, anything else cant push it at all.

Some one please help, I do not have access to any type of scanner. Sorry.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It may be your neutral safety switch. Try starting it in neutral.
I will move this to the 2nd Generation Dakota sub forum.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:27 AM
jrossjr79

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
It may be your neutral safety switch. Try starting it in neutral.
I will move this to the 2nd Generation Dakota sub forum.
Thank you for your response and or moving thread to proper area.

I start it in neutral and it is the same thing, wont move. Oh an correction, if it is in any gear, other than park, I can push the vehicle as if it is in neutral.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:51 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Which tranny do you have? The 45rfe?

Double, triple, check the fluid level. Make sure it is spot on.

It sounds like it is low on fluid or has air in the valve body and the clutches aren't engaging.

When you changed the filter, did you use a new seal? Did you put it on the oil pump or the oil filter first. If you put it on the filter you probably don't have a good seal and you'll cavitate the pump.

What fluid did you use?

Old 02-18-2011, 10:59 AM
jrossjr79

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Which tranny do you have? The 45rfe?

Double, triple, check the fluid level. Make sure it is spot on.

It sounds like it is low on fluid or has air in the valve body and the clutches aren't engaging.

When you changed the filter, did you use a new seal? Did you put it on the oil pump or the oil filter first. If you put it on the filter you probably don't have a good seal and you'll cavitate the pump.

What fluid did you use?
Trans is a 45rfe

Fluid is on spot, however even after running engine for a good amount of time, fluid is really cold and clean (did not do a complete flush jsut what was in pan and filters).

Is there a seal I am suppose to change on the filters? I though all that came together? Unless if you mean on the pan, I put a new seal there, directly on the pan then screwed it on properly.

Fluid that was used was Castrol ATF+4

Old 02-18-2011, 11:11 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yeah, there is a seal, I'm not referring to the pan gasket. It goes on the bottom of the oil pump and seals the pump to the filter. It may have been on your filter but you need to put it on the pump first.

Check the old filter to see if its on the old filter. If its in the tranny it probably isn't sealing.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:13 AM
jrossjr79

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Yeah, there is a seal, I'm not referring to the pan gasket. It goes on the bottom of the oil pump and seals the pump to the filter. It may have been on your filter but you need to put it on the pump first.

Check the old filter to see if its on the old filter. If its in the tranny it probably isn't sealing.
K,
thanks I will be going to get more fluid and another gasket, lol, dropping the pan, etc,etc,etc. I will keep yall updated. Thanks

Old 02-18-2011, 11:21 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Make sure the new seal is seated. You can use the end of hammer or some other flat tool to seat it before you put the new filter on.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:22 PM
jrossjr79

Ok,
I just got through doing everything all over again. Sure enough the seal was not on right. Good call on that. However............... Truck is still doing the same thing. Nothing has changed.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:33 PM
jrossjr79

Is there anything I can do, or do I need to get the tranny overhauled. That would cost me $1195 to do so. Really cant afford that. So any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Dodge Dakota will not run after transmission fluid changed.