Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 2nd Gen Dakota
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


2nd Gen Dakota 1997 - 2004 Dakota's

Dodge Dakota will not run after transmission fluid changed.

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-17-2011, 10:09 PM
jrossjr79's Avatar
jrossjr79 jrossjr79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 25
Default Dodge Dakota will not run after transmission fluid changed.

I decided to take care of a few things on my 2001 dodge dakota 4.7 earlier today. Changed out my Thermostat, did oil and filter change, and did transmission fluid and filters as well.

Once I got all my fluids back in the truck, I proceeded to run through each gear, Park, Reverese, Nuetral, Drive, 1, & 2. I could of sworn that it engaged all the gears. Had to add more fluid, had 4 originally so I added a fifth. Ran back through all the gears, fluid level was good. I shut my truck off so I could put away everything. Decided to bring the truck to the back to put it away for the night. However, truck does not move. It starts up, it seems to shift into gear (at times, sometimes I can feel it, sometimes I cant). Give it gas in Drive, Reverse, 1, or 2 and it just revs up the engine, no movement. Put it in Neutral and I can push the truck, anything else cant push it at all.

Some one please help, I do not have access to any type of scanner. Sorry.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Crazy4x4RT's Avatar
Crazy4x4RT Crazy4x4RT is offline
Offroad Dakota Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 93 Dakota
Location: NM
Posts: 10,828
Default

It may be your neutral safety switch. Try starting it in neutral.
I will move this to the 2nd Generation Dakota sub forum.
__________________
My Youtube Videos! ----My Photo Albums---Solid Axle Swap ----- Leaf Spring Swap/flip ----2wd-4wd swap

"No truck should ever be lowerd! NEVER" Buy a car if you want it low!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-18-2011, 10:27 AM
jrossjr79's Avatar
jrossjr79 jrossjr79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT View Post
It may be your neutral safety switch. Try starting it in neutral.
I will move this to the 2nd Generation Dakota sub forum.
Thank you for your response and or moving thread to proper area.

I start it in neutral and it is the same thing, wont move. Oh an correction, if it is in any gear, other than park, I can push the vehicle as if it is in neutral.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-18-2011, 10:51 AM
00DakDan's Avatar
00DakDan 00DakDan is online now
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 2000 Dak Sport CC 4.7 5 speed 4x4
Location: MA
Posts: 3,418
Default

Which tranny do you have? The 45rfe?

Double, triple, check the fluid level. Make sure it is spot on.

It sounds like it is low on fluid or has air in the valve body and the clutches aren't engaging.

When you changed the filter, did you use a new seal? Did you put it on the oil pump or the oil filter first. If you put it on the filter you probably don't have a good seal and you'll cavitate the pump.

What fluid did you use?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-18-2011, 10:59 AM
jrossjr79's Avatar
jrossjr79 jrossjr79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00DakDan View Post
Which tranny do you have? The 45rfe?

Double, triple, check the fluid level. Make sure it is spot on.

It sounds like it is low on fluid or has air in the valve body and the clutches aren't engaging.

When you changed the filter, did you use a new seal? Did you put it on the oil pump or the oil filter first. If you put it on the filter you probably don't have a good seal and you'll cavitate the pump.

What fluid did you use?
Trans is a 45rfe

Fluid is on spot, however even after running engine for a good amount of time, fluid is really cold and clean (did not do a complete flush jsut what was in pan and filters).

Is there a seal I am suppose to change on the filters? I though all that came together? Unless if you mean on the pan, I put a new seal there, directly on the pan then screwed it on properly.

Fluid that was used was Castrol ATF+4
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-18-2011, 11:11 AM
00DakDan's Avatar
00DakDan 00DakDan is online now
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 2000 Dak Sport CC 4.7 5 speed 4x4
Location: MA
Posts: 3,418
Default

Yeah, there is a seal, I'm not referring to the pan gasket. It goes on the bottom of the oil pump and seals the pump to the filter. It may have been on your filter but you need to put it on the pump first.

Check the old filter to see if its on the old filter. If its in the tranny it probably isn't sealing.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-18-2011, 11:13 AM
jrossjr79's Avatar
jrossjr79 jrossjr79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00DakDan View Post
Yeah, there is a seal, I'm not referring to the pan gasket. It goes on the bottom of the oil pump and seals the pump to the filter. It may have been on your filter but you need to put it on the pump first.

Check the old filter to see if its on the old filter. If its in the tranny it probably isn't sealing.
K,
thanks I will be going to get more fluid and another gasket, lol, dropping the pan, etc,etc,etc. I will keep yall updated. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-18-2011, 11:21 AM
00DakDan's Avatar
00DakDan 00DakDan is online now
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 2000 Dak Sport CC 4.7 5 speed 4x4
Location: MA
Posts: 3,418
Default

Make sure the new seal is seated. You can use the end of hammer or some other flat tool to seat it before you put the new filter on.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-18-2011, 02:22 PM
jrossjr79's Avatar
jrossjr79 jrossjr79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 25
Default

Ok,
I just got through doing everything all over again. Sure enough the seal was not on right. Good call on that. However............... Truck is still doing the same thing. Nothing has changed.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-18-2011, 03:33 PM
jrossjr79's Avatar
jrossjr79 jrossjr79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 25
Default

Is there anything I can do, or do I need to get the tranny overhauled. That would cost me $1195 to do so. Really cant afford that. So any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-18-2011, 04:02 PM
00DakDan's Avatar
00DakDan 00DakDan is online now
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 2000 Dak Sport CC 4.7 5 speed 4x4
Location: MA
Posts: 3,418
Default

If the seal was out of place then you'll get air in the system. Have you cycled it through the ranges, waiting a few seconds between gears.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-18-2011, 04:06 PM
jrossjr79's Avatar
jrossjr79 jrossjr79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00DakDan View Post
If the seal was out of place then you'll get air in the system. Have you cycled it through the ranges, waiting a few seconds between gears.
yep cycled through each range waiting 5 seconds on each.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-18-2011, 04:44 PM
00DakDan's Avatar
00DakDan 00DakDan is online now
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 2000 Dak Sport CC 4.7 5 speed 4x4
Location: MA
Posts: 3,418
Default

I wouldn't consider a rebuild until you have the pressures checked and any codes read. Was the transmission working fine before you changed the fluid?
How was the fluid, was there much crap in the pan?

The linkage is on correctly? All electrical connectors?

There is a way to check the pump output volume if you want. It can help tell you how well the pump is working.

Last edited by 00DakDan; 02-18-2011 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: add pump volume
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-18-2011, 04:58 PM
jrossjr79's Avatar
jrossjr79 jrossjr79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00DakDan View Post
I wouldn't consider a rebuild until you have the pressures checked and any codes read. Was the transmission working fine before you changed the fluid?
How was the fluid, was there much crap in the pan?

The linkage is on correctly? All electrical connectors?

There is a way to check the pump output volume if you want. It can help tell you how well the pump is working.
Transmission was working before I changed the fluid and filters. Except it had bubbles on the dipstick. Guessing because I either had to much or not enough fluid in it. Was no contamination from other liquids in pan. Also fluid was just a shade darker. Looked pretty good, smell as though it was just starting to burn out. Was hoping I was catching it in time.

Did not have much crap in the pan, maybe less than 1/4 of teaspoon.

Linkage was checked and moves on tranny like it is suppose to when changed from the steering column. All electrical connectors are in place.

How do I check to see if pump is working? And I know there is a way to test the pressure, but I do not know how to do so, having trouble finding info on web.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-18-2011, 06:02 PM
00DakDan's Avatar
00DakDan 00DakDan is online now
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 2000 Dak Sport CC 4.7 5 speed 4x4
Location: MA
Posts: 3,418
Default

Suggestion: download the 2000 factory service manual, link on forum page. There are only a few small difference between a 99 and 2000. It has the 45RFE in it.

Jeeps also use the 45RFE when searching the web.

Check for volume first, to see if the pump is working. Disconnect the "to" cooler line, place a container under it, then let the engine run at idle. In 20 seconds or less you should have a quart of fluid.

I doubt it is a mechanical failure. It hasn't moved.
It could be hydraulic, are you getting pressure?
It could also be electrical, if a connection is undone.

The easiest way to get the pressures is to use a scan tool, the DRB at a dealer.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-18-2011, 06:48 PM
jrossjr79's Avatar
jrossjr79 jrossjr79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00DakDan View Post
Suggestion: download the 2000 factory service manual, link on forum page. There are only a few small difference between a 99 and 2000. It has the 45RFE in it.

Jeeps also use the 45RFE when searching the web.

Check for volume first, to see if the pump is working. Disconnect the "to" cooler line, place a container under it, then let the engine run at idle. In 20 seconds or less you should have a quart of fluid.

I doubt it is a mechanical failure. It hasn't moved.
It could be hydraulic, are you getting pressure?
It could also be electrical, if a connection is undone.

The easiest way to get the pressures is to use a scan tool, the DRB at a dealer.
Is the to cooler on the tranny itself, just trying to make sure I am reading the manual right. Also on scanning tools, trying to find a loaner from an auto part store. Autozone has a ODB Scan Tool, will this work, or does it have to be a DRB?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-18-2011, 06:55 PM
bigreed91's Avatar
bigreed91 bigreed91 is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota R/T
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 264
Default

I honestly dont know about our trucks cause i havent looked but from past vehicles your tranny lines run to the bottom of your radiator if this helps
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-18-2011, 07:00 PM
jrossjr79's Avatar
jrossjr79 jrossjr79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreed91 View Post
I honestly dont know about our trucks cause i havent looked but from past vehicles your tranny lines run to the bottom of your radiator if this helps
Ok, that makes it even easier to access, however how do I tell which one is the one that runs to the cooler?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-18-2011, 07:10 PM
00DakDan's Avatar
00DakDan 00DakDan is online now
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 2000 Dak Sport CC 4.7 5 speed 4x4
Location: MA
Posts: 3,418
Default

The only way I know is to follow the oil cooler lines. The top one on the transmission is the line TO the cooler. The line you want to disconnect.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-18-2011, 07:20 PM
jrossjr79's Avatar
jrossjr79 jrossjr79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00DakDan View Post
The only way I know is to follow the oil cooler lines. The top one on the transmission is the line TO the cooler. The line you want to disconnect.
Found it, still wondering if a odb scanner will work or not though.

Also, If all else fails, I may go buy a brand new Tranny. Anyone know a cheap place. I found one for 1800 but father in law swears I can find them cheaper. Thanks
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:20 PM
 
 
 
Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join DodgeForum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 PM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


Contact Details & Emails