2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

6speed Manual Transmission Swap

Old 09-03-2011, 10:27 AM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever sell the getrag 238?

Old 02-23-2012, 10:10 PM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T-Muns
Did you ever sell the getrag 238?
I want to know that also! I've been digging into this swap for some time.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:35 AM
moparman_2004
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He'll my ex girlfriend has a 01 4.7 4x4 and has the nv3500 and hers is toasted and can't find one any where near here for sale her only choice is rebuild or by new

Old 04-30-2016, 04:15 AM
R1ch722
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch help.

Not sure if you fixed this yet but I've delt with this problem myself, the one piece master/slave can be blead outside the truck using gravity put the resivor at the highest point and lay everything else below it strait as you can make sure its full of fluid and tap the lines a little to let all the bubbles flow to the top, (leave it over night if need be)I couldn't find a one piece so I used a newer slave from a 2000 Dakota with a blead valve, just need to switch out the quick disconect for a barb at the end.

Now for any clutch problem I found an easy way to figure out what's wrong, I unbolted the bell housing from the transmission then bolted it up to the engine like it goes with the clutch, bolted up the slave and had someone press the clutch wile I watched what it was doing, I had to use a socket extension in place of the input shaft to guide everything strait like it should go, in my case the bolts that I used to bolt the clutch flex plate to the flywheel weren't threaded all the way so when torqued they bottomed out without pulling the flex plat all the way to the flywheel, so when the pedal was pressed felt soft like it needed to be blead but the flex plate was pulling away from the flywheel.

Hope this helps, I'm looking to swap out my ax15 with a 6 speed,3.9 4x4 if anyone has any good info thanks

Old 04-30-2016, 04:27 AM
R1ch722

Wrong thread...

Old 01-20-2020, 07:19 PM
Jeff Adamczak
Default Still got that getrag238 6-speed manual transmission? I have a 07 Dakota 243kmiles

Originally Posted by ronsdak
Ok, here we go...
I pulled my original NV3500 and transfer case. In looking at the transmissions side by side it looks doable. I jacked the Getrag 238 into position and mounted it up to the engine. That's when I took my measurements and made the decision to NOT go through with it.

No changes required on the following:
Bellhousing
Starter
Clutch
Flywheel

Changes required:
Transfercase input spline (Length & # of teeth)
Transfercase shifting likeage (lengthen by 2.8")
New Transmission crossmember (fabricate)
Relocate transmission mount crossmember (3.8" towards the rear)
Bought a new Transmission Mount($165 non-refundable - Dodge)
Cut tunnel for shifter (2.4" forward)
Cannot reuse the console
Driveshaft (shorten by 3.3")
Run a new slave cylinder line
New wiring connector (reverse lights)

Call me a whimp, but this is a daily driver and I do not need to fab the truck up that much.

So...if you know anybody that wants a low mileage(24k) 2008 Ram Getrag 238 let me know

Ron
doubt that you have this transmission still... 07 Dakota 3.7L 6-speed manual transmission 4wd SLT package, no issues with my transmission but this is my 2nd clutch with damn near 250k miles and been lookin for a cheap back up transmission since its a German manufacturered transmission, rebuild kits dont exists in the USA, local pick apart wants $2900 + my old one for one they dont even know that if it even works! Mines still good i have even bought a custom Hurst short throw shifter for mine. Wont fit any other transmission. But just lookin for a back up, wish i could post a picture of my 07 Dakota, it looks sharp with a little lift cab lights bull bar ram20s with 31in tires on it. Very well taken care of i have raced it couple times at sands dragstrip here in sands speedway Michigan, or Marquette Michigan area. 17sec truck in the 1/4. Anyway longer story then i intended for. Just curious about the transmission if u still had it and be willing to part with it; i doubt it though. Thx if u read this, message me on Facebook jeff Adamczak, guy sitting underneath the hood of a 86 chevy *** crack hanging out. Lol..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6speed Manual Transmission Swap