2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Fuel Pump Module - What are signs it's failing?

Old 02-27-2011, 09:09 PM
luvdogz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Module - What are signs it's failing?

I've had the code 0442 for a couple of months. I came to this forum for info about it and got lots of help for finding the problem. I did all that was suggested I do and the code still won't clear. I finally took it to a garage the other day and the mechanic told me I need a new fuel pump module. He said he pressurized the system and that there was a leak coming from the area of the pump. Seems to me I would know if this part were on its way out with some type of problem regarding fuel but I could be wrong. Are there signs when a fuel pump module is failing? If yes, what are they? Also, is there something else in the area where he heard the leak that could be the problem instead of the pump? These pumps are not cheap and I don't want to replace it if it's not broken. They see a female come through the door and...............watch out!! They don't know I get alot of expert help on this forum though!! Hopefully I'll get lots of it with this problem so I can know exactly what I'm talking about if/when I go back there. I thought they'd find a leak in a hose or something........ Please help me out here????? I do appreciate it!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-27-2011, 10:39 PM
oxygen454
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I do believe the module has tubes going through it so it is possible that the module could leak. The module is on the top of the pump.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:42 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fuel pump module? Oh that thing next to the reciprocating dingle arm! Your fuel pump or what ever they are calling it, could be as simple as a 5.00 fix. Idk what they are actually talking about maybe the charcoal canister(i've never heard it called that) Your gas cap could be the cause of it. There is also another cause for this code too. Under the driver side of the truck there is a little black box. There is like 2 or 3 hoses going to it and one might be cracked and just leaking. Go under and inspect it yourself not a big deal just see if the hoses are tight and aren't cracked at all. Its not a big deal I have that code and its been on in my truck for 10,000 miles. One day ill fix it lol

Last edited by dodgeramguy85; 02-27-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:43 PM
thunder98110
Champion

i have an evap leak too. but mine is a large one. its most likley just old hoses on the evap canister. which looks like this, it could be as simple as you need a new gas cap.
:http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2540/...72c8a20d39.jpg

as far as i know its just an emissions thing. are you loosing power, or is the motor cutting out, not starting? that would be sign of a bad fuel pump. you could also test the fuel pump pressure buy buying a fuel pressure test kit at autzone and hook it up to the fuel rail.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:50 PM
oxygen454
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Best advice I could give is tell them to show you where the leak is. That way you know they are not taking advantage of you for your money and you can be confident that the repair is actually truthful.

Would there not be gas leaking out? There is a few good pounds of pressure in those lines. If no leaks I would start to think about what the other posters have mentioned.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:27 AM
00dakSport
All Star

maybe the shop was talking about the fuel sending unit? i've had a problem with the gas reading empty when the tank isn't. the code i got said the fuel sending unit was failing. but if i just rev it over 2k the gauge corrects itself. hopefully your problem is something small like that, cause i dont know what the mechanic is talking about either.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:49 AM
luvdogz
Rookie

Thanks, everybody! Knew I could count on you guys here!!!

A couple months ago I checked the charcoal canister and the hoses going into it along with all the hoses I could find from the gas tank up to the engine and couldn't find any leaks. Remember, I'm female and am not really familiar with alot of this stuff. I'm learning alot but the fuel lines confused me a bit up the front. I did my best and couldn't find any leaks. I also bought a new OEM fuel cap and that didn't help either. With the help of people on here I did all they suggested. Again, checking the hoses got a bit confusing.

One more question..........If I am not having any "fuel pump" issues, is it possible to replace the module only? Are there hoses leading to this pump that could be loose? Like you guys, I don't feel this is really the problem but I really want to find what it is and have it fixed correctly.

Thanks for all your input!! If you think of anything else, let me know? I appreciate all of you taking the time to help me out and I don't take it for granted.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 AM
thunder98110
Champion

if you arent having any issues, or your arent dumping fuel i would leave it alone. have him do a fuel pressure test and show you just to make sure the pump is fine.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:21 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Your not leaking fuel because you would notice it with almost 50psi in the fuel lines. How is your fuel filler neck? is it rusty or leaky when you put gas in it? Like I said earlier its not a major problem just a small problem.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:47 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Like Thunder just posted above here, have the guy connect a fuel pressure test gauge and show you that the fuel pressure is too low. I have never heard of anyone pressurizing the fuel system in a Dakota, but you or your mechanic can check the internal fuel pressure. Have the guy connect his fuel pressure gauge at the fuel rail test port on the driver's side of the engine, right below the throttle body. At idle, the fuel pressure should be between 47 to 52 psi. If not, there is a problem with the fuel pump, but you would know it because the truck would not run right. Have the guy turn off the truck but leave the fuel pressure gauge connected to the test port. If the pressure falls below 30 psi in 5 minutes or less, the fuel pressure regulator is bad.

Another sign of a bad fuel pressure regulator is if it takes longer than normal to start the truick after it sits overnight or even for a few hours. If it cranks over for more than about 3 seconds before the engine starts, you could have a failing pressure regulator. There is a check valve in the regulator that goes bad around 125,000 miles, and when that happens all the fuel bleeds back out of the fuel line as the truck sits, and that's why it takes a longer time to start. The fuel pump and pressure regulator have to re-prime the lines first before it starts. Another sign of the fuel pressure regulator problem is if it won't start right away unless you turn the ignition key to the on/run position and leave it there for 10 or 15 seconds. When you do that it also re-primes the fuel line.

There are fuel lines at the top of the fuel pump assembly but if they were actually leaking fuel you would smell it from outside the truck. If the mechanic guy says you have a leaking fuel line, make him show it to you before you pay him to fix it. Also, the fuel pump "module" is the same thing as the fuel pump. When it is called a module, generally it refers to the fuel pump, the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel gauge sending unit as a whole assembly. Those 3 parts are all together in the fuel pump housing. The fuel pump is mounted in the gas tank, it is removed from the top side of the tank by either removing the fuel tank or removing the bed of the truck to gain access to the fuel pump.

The only part of the fuel pump module that you can replace separately from the fuel pump is the fuel gauge sending unit. But if you are replacing or having the sending unit replaced, it's smart just to replace the pump too, unless the sending unit failed at a very low mileage. The fuel pressure regulator is an internal part of the fuel pump itself. You have to replace the pump assembly to replace the regulator. If you do replace the fuel pump assembly, the new one also includes a new fuel gauge sending unit.

Sounds to me like you still have a leak some where in the evaporative emissions system. The leaks can be hard to find. But it's not a good idea to leave it unrepaired and let the truck run with the check engine light continuously on. You need that light to be working normally so that it will come back on to alert you if any other engine/transmission/emissions problems come up in the future. If it's already still on due to the old P0442 code, it can't tell you about any other problems that might come up later. Maybe ask the mechanic if they can do a smog test on your emissions system. That's where they inject smoke or smog with a machine, it goes into the evap emissions system and where it leaks, the smoke leaks out, showing you where the problem is. It's kind of like putting a flat tire in water to let the air bubbles show you where it is punctured.

Jimmy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Module - What are signs it's failing?