2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Fuel Pump Module - What are signs it's failing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 01:36 PM
luvdogz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really have had no issues with the truck as far as leaking fuel, hard starts, etc. Other than the P0442 code everything seems fine. I did have a P0138 code for the 02 sensor, bank 1, downstream and my brother replaced it. Could this bad 02 sensor have caused the P0442 code or are they not related?

Do you think I would be able to check the fuel pressure myself? As I think you all probably know by now, my husband passed away last year so I try to do alot of preventive maintenance to the truck. He has a fuel pressure gauge but I don't want to blow myself up........stop laughing. I can do lots of the small jobs like change the oil, clean the throttle body, etc. but I don't know much about the fuel/emissions systems. I'm learning alot but still don't know as much as I'd like to. I'm going to do some research on this. I'll let you know what happens at the garage but I won't be going back again until this coming Saturday.

I'm going to look at all the things you guys mentioned one more time to try and find the leak. Sure wish I could find the problem.

I really cannot thank you guys enough for the help/info you've given me here!!! I also want to thank you all for explaining it simply so I could understand better. This makes a big difference to a beginner like me who also happens to be a female!!! This is not a bad thing, there are lots of ladies out there who are great at this stuff but I do better with the detailed explanations and, in some cases, pictures of what I need to be looking for and where to find it.

So, THANK YOU, all, very much for taking the time to help me out!!!!!! I truly appreciate this!!!!!! I'll get back to you when I know anything more.

Last edited by luvdogz; 02-28-2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-28-2011, 03:17 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

testing the fuel pressure is easier than changing the oil. on the passenger side fuel rail you will see something that has a plastic cap on the end of a tip. looks like the valve step on the tire. unscrew it and screw in the fuel pressure test kit. some gas will come out b.c the rail is still pressurized.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:24 PM
luvdogz
Rookie

Thanks for the info, thunder98110! Unfortunately, I don't know where or what the passenger side fuel rail is??????.........sorry.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:36 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Old 02-28-2011, 04:40 PM
thunder98110
Champion

here is an actual pic of a fuel rail and schrader valve where you plug the fuel pressure test kit into. off of the fuel rail will be the injectors.

http://images.hemmings.com/wp-conten...17_resized.jpg

Old 02-28-2011, 08:42 PM
luvdogz
Rookie

thunder98110, you're the best!!! The pictures you've sent are perfect and I know exactly where the fuel rail and the test port are. I absolutely love to learn this stuff and I'm excited to test the pressure for myself! I've just got to locate the gauge. My husband had more tools than God and each one is perfectly placed where it should be. Now I need to figure out where he felt this gauge belonged. I've seen it 100's of times and never knew what it's purpose was. Now I've just got to remember where I saw it.

Thanks so much, for taking the time to explain this to me and especially for the pics!!! It's great to have people who are willing to help you out when you want to learn!!!

I'll post on here either tomorrow or the day after. I want to get to this tomorrow but I'm babysitting my 5 month old niece for the day. It will be great if it's warm enough here (20 mins. north of Boston) to bring her out in her stroller. Gotta wait to see.... the weathermen here in New England have a hard time getting it right sometimes. Not their fault, it's the way the weather is here.

THANKS, again!!!!

P.S. You're sure I won't blow myself up, right?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:48 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by luvdogz
thunder98110, you're the best!!! The pictures you've sent are perfect and I know exactly where the fuel rail and the test port are. I absolutely love to learn this stuff and I'm excited to test the pressure for myself! I've just got to locate the gauge. My husband had more tools than God and each one is perfectly placed where it should be. Now I need to figure out where he felt this gauge belonged. I've seen it 100's of times and never knew what it's purpose was. Now I've just got to remember where I saw it.

Thanks so much, for taking the time to explain this to me and especially for the pics!!! It's great to have people who are willing to help you out when you want to learn!!!

I'll post on here either tomorrow or the day after. I want to get to this tomorrow but I'm babysitting my 5 month old niece for the day. It will be great if it's warm enough here (20 mins. north of Boston) to bring her out in her stroller. Gotta wait to see.... the weathermen here in New England have a hard time getting it right sometimes. Not their fault, it's the way the weather is here.

THANKS, again!!!!

P.S. You're sure I won't blow myself up, right?
Dont worry you wont blow yourself up

Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 PM
luvdogz
Rookie

Thanks, dodgeramguy85, for your reply! As much as I love learning about my truck and working on it, some things do worry me. If I don't know exactly why or how, I get a little nervous sometimes. I'm glad you chimed in though.......it makes me feel better that you took the time to reassure me! Thanks, again!!!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You won't blow your self up, but it might help if you relieve the fuel pressure in the fuel line before attaching the fuel pressure gauge to the test port. It will make the job easier and not spray gas out unexpectedly as you connect the gauge:

1. Remove the gas cap from the fuel fill neck.

2. Open the cover on the Power Distribution Center. It's the large rectangular box next to the battery that looks like a big fuse box.

3. Remove the fuel pump relay. It is located in the Power Distribution Center. Relays are small black rectangular shaped plastic pieces, about a half inch by 1 inch in size. When you look at the bottom of a relay it has little metal "legs" sticking out. There's a diagram inside the Power Distribution Center's lid that tells you which relay is the one for the fuel pump. It might help you when you find the fuel pump relay to make a reference chalk mark or somehow mark the spot where the relay goes back into its slots in the Power Distribution Center panel. This will help you find the place to reinstall it a bit easier.

4. Start the truck and let it run until it sputters and dies. This should take about half a minute. It will run rough the last few seconds but that won't hurt anything.

5. Crank the truck over a couple more times, just for one or two seconds each time to relieve any residual fuel pressure from the fuel lines.

6. Now connect the fuel pressure gauge to the test port on the fuel rail.

7. Replace the fuel pump relay.

8. Reinstall the gas cap.

9. Turn the ignition key to "on/run", wait about 15 seconds to allow the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator to re-prime the fuel lines, then start the truck. It should start normally.

10. Continue with the fuel pressure tests from here.

The fuel rail test port will spray out a bit of fuel as you disconnect the gauge when you are done with your tests. Maybe wear rubber gloves while doing the tests. Personally, I hate the smell of gas on my skin, shoes or clothes, so I found it much better to check the fuel system by relieving the pressure from the fuel lines first.

Also, it is smart to disconnect the negative battery cable while doing these pressure relief procedures and connecting the fuel pressure gauge. It's a lot safer that way, you don't want even the slightest chance of a spark when working on your truck's fuel system.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 02-28-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:39 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by luvdogz
Thanks, dodgeramguy85, for your reply! As much as I love learning about my truck and working on it, some things do worry me. If I don't know exactly why or how, I get a little nervous sometimes. I'm glad you chimed in though.......it makes me feel better that you took the time to reassure me! Thanks, again!!!
Yeah no problem,I know the feeling

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Module - What are signs it's failing?