2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Hello, from new member, and looking for a little help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Brian77cb750
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, from new member, and looking for a little help.

Hey guys, I have been lurking on the forum for a couple of nights now reading about engine swaps, but can't seem to find a good clear answer, or maybe haven't searched well enough.
I have a 2002 Dakota SXT ext cab 3.9v6, manual nv3500 trans, 8.25 3:55 rear end. I bought it new in Sep of '02 and it now has 154,000 miles, been a good truck can't complain for what I have put it through, everything still works and I can't say I have taken care of it over the years. I use it for work, so it has had a full ladder rack on it since it was maybe 1 year old, and I pulled around 4,500lbs of scrap on a 16' trailer more than once... lol it has been ran through mail boxes and a fence "fell asleep" about 6 years ago, drove out and replaced hood, grill, bumper,& so on, repainted. Then hydroplaned one day through another fence about 3 years ago, still need to paint from that. rear springs are collapsed, from hauling tools, ladder's welding machine all the time. The truck still runs good, and drives well, recently replaced all 4 ball joints, now I think the control arm bushings are bad, about time for a clutch also
So I'm wanting to do, suspension lift, body lift, engine swap, and just kind of re-store the truck and make it nice again.
My only compliant really as that it has never had enough power, and seems like it is too high geared, was thinking about changing to 4:10 gears.

So thats why I want to do the engine swap, from what I have read on here the 3.9 and the 5.2 are the same just 2 cylinders difference, so it should fit my bell-housing? The question I have is if i get a 5.2 out of a Ram 1500 with a auto trans will the pcm work? or does it have to be a Dakota/Darango with a manual trans for the pcm? I also seen that some are saying the pcm has to be flashed to my truck, is this something the dealer has to do?

I have more questions but I cant think of them atm, I'm going to hit up some wrecking yards tomorrow and see what they have and how much, to get an idea of what I'm going to be spending...

Thanks for any and all input!

Quick Reply: Hello, from new member, and looking for a little help.