2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Fog light question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 12:56 AM
Cameron1997
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Fog light question

I recently was wanting to put fog lights on my dakota but my original bumper didn't come with them so i was wondering if the lights would plug into a stock location or if i would need to wire them in somehow. i found the dash switch for the fog lights but i was wondering if the wiring harness would allow me to just plug and play with the lights?

Old 04-23-2011, 01:04 AM
dirtbiker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read this: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...n-the-sxt.html
I just went to autozone and got some of those 30 dollar rectangular ones and put them in the gaps in the front of the bumper cover. Not in the fog light holes, the outer spaces where there are 4 gaps. It's hard to explain but it is easy to do. Or you can add them in the stock holes but that's more of a pain.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Cas161

My 04 came with the stock lights and when I added more to the push bar, I just spliced in to the original wiring harness.

However, I had a similar question to yours when I had my Ford Escape. I was ready to wire an aftermarket switch with the new fog lights but when I crawled underneath, I found the wiring harness for the stock fog lights tucked up behind the front bumper. Everything was already in the car, right up to the stock switch harness under the dash.

Sometimes it's cheaper for the manufacturer to use one harness for all their trucks. Take a look under the bumper. You might get lucky like I did.

Good luck

Old 04-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Cameron1997
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cas161
My 04 came with the stock lights and when I added more to the push bar, I just spliced in to the original wiring harness.

However, I had a similar question to yours when I had my Ford Escape. I was ready to wire an aftermarket switch with the new fog lights but when I crawled underneath, I found the wiring harness for the stock fog lights tucked up behind the front bumper. Everything was already in the car, right up to the stock switch harness under the dash.

Sometimes it's cheaper for the manufacturer to use one harness for all their trucks. Take a look under the bumper. You might get lucky like I did.

Good luck
Thanks i looked underneath the plastic piece and found a hookup to the harness and i also took my dash out and found the end to put a switch thanks man!

Old 04-24-2011, 12:54 AM
PonchoRob
Professional

I added factory fog lights to my truck since it wasn't equipped that way from the factory , the plug ins and wireing were all there just like you found on your`s , i got my factory replacement lights from e-bay , you`ll also have to add a fog lamp relay in at the fuse block under the hood next to the battery , there`s a slot for it and i got mine from oreily`s for around $12 ,,, i cut out the holes with a 4" hole saw and then used a small sandpaper flapper wheel on a drill to clean up and size the holes , worked out pretty good and you cant tell that they weren't factory installed ! Oh ,, and if you decide to cut out your holes like i did , make SURE the drill bit is on center of the plug , knock-out , or whatever it`s called , in the bumper because even though it looks perfectly round it isnt ,, it`s more of an oval shape and you`ll cut too far to one side if your not watching close .

Quick Reply: Fog light question