2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Idle Air Control Valve ( IAC )

Old 06-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Ibleave74
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Air Control Valve ( IAC )

Has anyone had any issues with their IAC Valve on the 04 3.7 engines? I was wondering if they can be cleaned. I have a miss at idle and have done all the tune-ups that normally fix this kind of thing. The truck has never shown a code and I don't notice it missing at speed, just at idle. When I put the truck in park the RPM gauge jumps all over the place, almost wanting to die and then back up. When it's in drive it idles higher than normal sometimes, around 900 RPM's and misses, then at the next light it might idle at around 6-700 RPM's and the RPM gauge will jump all over. I've read where this valve could possibly be sticking and not completely failing which is why I don't have a code showing, but I've also read some IAC Valves can't be cleaned. I have changed the air filter, PCV valve, plugs, TPS sensor, cleaned out throttle body, no plenum leaks, fuel pressure and cat pressure all good. I also recently ordered a new MAP sensor and Air Charge Temp Sensor to install just in case. Any other suggestions? If the IAC valve can't be cleaned then I guess I'll order that as well. Just trying to save some money. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:02 PM
rengnath
Champion

I tried cleaning my IACV once and just made it worse. They are extremely sensative and the cleaners normally mess them up. You could try pulling it out though and take a close look at it. If its gunked up, thats probably your problem. If you do try and clean it, use an electronics cleaner and try and get some of the stuff off. Worse case senario, you have to buy a new one. I do have a spare in my garage for my truck (Mopar part from the dealer) that you can have for $40. It fits the 3.7l and 4.7l. I was having idling issues with an aftermarket throttle body so I bought 2 over time while trying to diagnose the issue, so the one in the closet has about 500 miles on it.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:41 AM
01KotaQuad
Professional

It's worth the $30 to replace...I had the problem too

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Idle Air Control Valve ( IAC )