2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Nice Quiet Stall

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 12:21 AM
bigmike6117
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice Quiet Stall

Hey everyone. This is my first time on this site as a member and would like some help with my 02 Dakota Sxt, 3.9L V6. No modifications, pretty much standard. Anyway, a few months ago I started having issues with stalling while idling at operating temp. I think I finally narrowed that down to the crankshaft sensor after replacing the cap and rotor, coil, IAC, and TPS. Throughout this process it was throwing two codes for a small and large fuel leak/vacuum leak. I found a torn tube at the evap canister and replaced it. I also just replaced the fuel cap since the codes came back. Fuel mileage isn't as good as I think it should be either. Now my problem is that when I re-install my battery and try to start it will fire up but immediately die. No sputter, or attempt to keep an idle, just a nice, quiet stall. It will start up again and after keeping the rpms up by pressing on the gas for a few minutes it will start idling on its own, and start up fine again. I know this isn't normal and don't know where to start. I haven't checked the fuel filter or pump since they very conveniently put it in the tank. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!!

Old 07-19-2011, 02:46 AM
BLSHOG10
Rookie

i dont know about the codes but if your idling is weak to the point that it sounds like its about to shut off on you or if it turns off when you turn the key its going to be the crankshaft sensor. i had the same problem a while back a new crankshaft sensor fixed it.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:19 PM
crateampsrock
Veteran

I would have it EVAP smoke tested. Most shops do it for around $40... Sounds to me like it may be running extremely lean.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:09 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hows your battery and terminals? I had a loose ground on my batt and sometimes it would cause it to not start after messing with my neg cable it would start but not idle for about 5 min so I had to replace my neg connector and I have since not had a problem with my idle. These trucks are picky about having really good grounds and correct voltage.

Quick Reply: Nice Quiet Stall