2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

crooked body - 2000 dakota

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:12 PM
animus_divinus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crooked body - 2000 dakota

i have a 2000 dodge dakota.. and well, the body just isnt sitting on the frame right.. on the passenger side the bed sticks out a few inches to the side, and on the drivers side it looks like its in a few inches...

mechanic during an inspection once said it needed new cab mounts... so i was looking to know if anyone know where i can even find them for this truck?... what exactly do they look like?

seems i can only find cab mounts up to 1996 for the dakota, does the 2000 even have cab mounts?... how would i go about fixing this?

and thanks in advance for any help im given

Old 06-06-2011, 09:13 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

U sure its not your bed that is off. I know when I took mine off I had about a 1inch too much on the passenger side. If you loosen all the bolts you can move the bed some.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:36 PM
animus_divinus

well, when i was replacing the muffler.. which was about a 4 hour job since i wasnt using a factory replacement muffler, but a cheaper universal fit thrush muffler... i managed to measure the bed and frame.. the bed is symmetrical to the frame, the cab is asymmetrical to the frame, so somethings wrong with the body

what does a 2000 dakota use between the frame and cab?.. is it rubber bushings like everything else?... also, would wood work? seems to work fine in cars made since hte model T up until some in the 60s until rubber became a cheaper to manufacture alternative... and wood wouldnt deteriorate as fast

just looking for the best option.. and i still cant find cab mounts for a 2000 dakota which confuses me

Old 06-07-2011, 01:09 AM
moparman_2004
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive heard of people using hockey pucks for them cause they are a good solid rubber and work well but my bed is off to

Old 06-07-2011, 09:38 AM
animus_divinus
Default animus_divinus

well, wood can support the entire weight of a vehicle... if i were to cut pucks out of wood i bet it would work for the cab or bed... and if they were treated first theyd last longer than rubber... y'all think i should give that a try or go with pucks if i cant find the mounts i actually need?

also, can anyone confirm the 2000 dakota actually uses them?

Old 06-07-2011, 11:29 PM
01KotaQuad
Professional

wow...I just recently dropped mine and noticed the same thing, it's off some...I noticed it once the tire was closer to the fender and was like wtf...Im gonna loosen the bed some and just move it over...easy fix...Bolts DO come loose sometimes...

Old 09-25-2011, 01:50 AM
Fairwayfreak

Yes, they use rubber cab mounts. You will probably have to get them from a dealer. Bad mounts alone will not cause the misalignment. Here is the easy way to tell where the problem lies. When everything is in its proper place, the bed and cab should line up, and the gap between them should be very close to even from side to side. Your bed is sticking out on the passenger side. If the cab is shifted, the gap will be closer on the passenger side, and wider on the drivers side. If the bed is shifted, the gap will be wider on the passenger side, and closer on the driver side. This assumes that there is no frame damage and all you are talking about is realigning the body.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:21 AM
DuckandDodge
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wouldn't hurt to try a junk yard first, the dealer is gonna rip your wallet a new one. lol.

Quick Reply: crooked body - 2000 dakota