2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Headlights issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:34 PM
KOZGEAR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights issue

2000 crew cab dodge dakota

I just had the head gasket replaced and now the headlights will not come on.

The parking lights will come on.

If I pull back and hold back the dimmer switch the high beams come on, once i let go the lights go off again.

I checked relays and such. Anyone know if it would be a switch or something else? Im stumped and dont want to waste money on parts hoping i get it right, just dont have the money for trial and error.

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2011, 07:55 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

So the brights will come on if you hold it back? what if you turn headlights on then turn brights on? IE, will they only come on with the hold, or do the highs work and not lows?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:56 PM
KOZGEAR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the lights on or off, its the same, I pull back the toggle switch and the brights come on and when I let go of the toggle bar they go completely off, i pull back and they come on... I let go and they go off...

Old 08-24-2011, 09:28 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by KOZGEAR
With the lights on or off, its the same, I pull back the toggle switch and the brights come on and when I let go of the toggle bar they go completely off, i pull back and they come on... I let go and they go off...
what about when you pull it all the way back till it clicks into the high beam position? Does the high beam indicator stay on?

Old 08-24-2011, 09:36 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The timing is weird, with the head gasket just being changed.

Since the lights do work on "flash to pass" the bulbs and wiring are intact up to the multi-function switch. It very well could be the headlight switch itself.

If you can pull the connector off the switch, ground pin #6 on connector #1 (the big connector with 14 pins). With the tab at the top and you facing the pins, it will be the 2nd pin from the left, with a light green wire. The headlights should come on, then you can test the multi-function switch.

Hope it helps.

Quick Reply: Headlights issue