2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Alarm goes off when unlock is pressed

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:27 PM
sledhead25
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after I unplugged the CTM the alarm didn't go off when I pushed the unlock button for about 2 weeks. Then this Monday the alarm did go off, Tuesday it didn't go off and today it did. I noticed that the horn only honks 3 times then it stops. Sense it is still happening does that mean that I have to replace the CTM?

Old 09-15-2011, 12:13 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds to me like the alarm module inside the CTM may be bad or on its way out finally. Here's an idea for you, maybe you can try it. If the keyless entry part of the security system is still working OK, that is to say, if the doors still lock and unlock with the keyless entry remote fob and the dome lights still come on when you unlock the doors with the key fob, you might try disabling the alarm part of the keyless entry.

At the CTM, look at plug connector #2, I guess it is the one in the middle. On that plug at pin #14 is a light green wire with an orange stripe. This is the factory alarm arm and disarm wire, it is the signal wire from the door lock mechanism in the driver's door and it tells the CTM whether to arm or disarm the factory alarm, based on the lock or unlock input from the remote control fob. Cut the green/orange wire in two. Then operate the keyless remote and be sure you still have the lock and unlock/dome light supervision functions. Keep in mind that cutting the alarm arm/disarm wire will only work if the lock and unlock functions still work now, before you cut the arm/disarm wire.

If this does not work and you still have problems with the factory alarm going off, you will probably need a new CTM. The Dodge dealer can program the keyless entry remote fobs to the new CTM. There is a post about that here, I do not know whether it works:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-program.html

I guess worry about that if/when it happens. Let us know if cutting the alarm arm/disarm wire works. If it does work, and you can do without the factory alarm, it is a lot cheaper this way than replacing the CTM.

Jimmy

Old 09-28-2011, 03:57 PM
sledhead25

I was going to try and do that but it quit doing it. I guess I will keep this and if it happens again ill try it but if not i don't know then. if it happens again ill let you know how it goes

Old 11-11-2011, 11:18 AM
sledhead25

The alarm started going off again so I did what 01SilverCC said and it worked for a few days but is still doing it. Does that tell me that I need a CTM?

Old 11-11-2011, 04:54 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

The factory alarm must be bad for it to panic like that even with the arm/disarm wire cut. Because the alarm is an internal part of the CTM, you will very likely need to replace the CTM to fix the problem. The Dodge dealer can check the CTM with the DRB3 scan tool but they may not be able to find out very much unless the problem occurs while they have the truck in the shop. If it were my truck I would take it to the dealer, see if they can shed some light on it.

Jimmy

Old 11-12-2011, 12:59 PM
sledhead25

I have access to a NAPA scan tool and Snap-on's newest scan tool would either one of those be able to help me out

Old 11-12-2011, 01:32 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

If the scan tools have the Dodge specific info and is able to communicate with and command the PCM and CTM test and programming functions, then yes it should work. I always thought the DRB had proprietary scan and program info that is not found in other scan tools. You have nothing to lose by trying the Napa and Snap On scanners, if they don't work then you could have the dealer check it out.

Jimmy

Old 12-10-2015, 12:43 PM
cabindwellr
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it's an old thread but it's important because unless we retire these aging vehicles the problems remain and, in fact, worsen. Sledhead25, if you catch this post it would be a huge benefit to the rest of us struggling with the same problem to know what your outcome was...

Old 01-01-2016, 10:54 PM
cabindwellr
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Posted my fix for this problem on another thread. Hopefully this is the link to it:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...going-off.html

Maybe an administrator could help to post the link properly if I screwed it up.

Quick Reply: Alarm goes off when unlock is pressed