2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

LEDs

Old 10-16-2015, 01:15 PM
Inspector1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LEDs

I would like to replace my tail light bulbs with LEDs. The flasher module is duplex with the emergency lights. Can that module be replaced with individual electronic flasher relays?
Denny

Old 10-16-2015, 05:27 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think LED's are better especially bulbs for old systems not designed for their use. Aesthetics aside they are not better just different so I say why go through the change its not needed. Now I installed an LED cab light as that has a good function it was brighter made that way and will not drain the battery in use as most times its used is with the engine off. Old basic bulbs work great LED bulbs are great but require modification to use them so I avoid them the cab LED didn't need any modification as it doesn't flash on off. I have installed some extra LED running lights and like them.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:38 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I'm not arguing with 98Dakaz at all - I have LED-compatible flashers in my truck, but the front and rear turn signals are all incandescent (works great for that purpose in my 1988!). Interiors are all LED now, for the same reason.

THAT said - what year is your Dakota or Durango, Inspector1? I ask that because they do make at least one combination flasher module that does both, I have it wired in my 1991 Cougar (since the Motorcraft replacement is NLA, it was either a Dorman, a reman'ed, or change the connector ... so I changed the connector. *grins* )

There may be one that plugs right in.

(And then, your truck may do it all via the CTM ... depends on the year!)

RwP

Old 10-17-2015, 01:25 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion

What's better in an LED is not completely true. For a car

Last longer or never burn out ..... not true just look at all the new cars using them now I have seen many a tail light with a few burned out now most new auto tail lights have a number of LED,s per tail light so even if some burn out you still have a tail light.

Uses less power ok that's good but in a car you make power as you drive only time that helps is if the engine is off and not making power.

So LED's are good but not exactly needed in a car its more a selling point.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:26 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

I'll come from the other side of the argument- I think LED tails, when installed correctly with a fitting clear corner lens, are easier to see, especially when driving into the sun and the car in front of you is in the glare. You may see the car but not the brake lights. LED's tend to shine through the glare.

OK, now with that said, there's not a clear corner out there that I like for our trucks, with the exception of white trucks.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:02 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well from the off road scene the led's are the new best thing.. You get awesome output with very little power draw... Just as bright as hid's with no needed boxes to try and hide... I went to hid interior, cargo lights and reverse lights and its the best thing ive done.. The light output is so much brighter and you can actually find things in the cab when its dark out... Didnt need any modifications to run them.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:51 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

I agree magnethead

The stock tail lights and almost all light lenses on our trucks are not made properly for LED usage they are diffusers not focus lenses.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:47 PM
Inspector1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
I'm not arguing with 98Dakaz at all - I have LED-compatible flashers in my truck, but the front and rear turn signals are all incandescent (works great for that purpose in my 1988!). Interiors are all LED now, for the same reason.

THAT said - what year is your Dakota or Durango, Inspector1? I ask that because they do make at least one combination flasher module that does both, I have it wired in my 1991 Cougar (since the Motorcraft replacement is NLA, it was either a Dorman, a reman'ed, or change the connector ... so I changed the connector. *grins* )

There may be one that plugs right in.

(And then, your truck may do it all via the CTM ... depends on the year!)

RwP
2001 dakota sport quad cab4x4

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LEDs