2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 front caliper anti-rattle springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 02:42 PM
spoolin'up
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 front caliper anti-rattle springs

On my 2002 Dakota 4x4 4.7L, I recently noticed that one of the front brake caliper anti-rattle springs was missing. The caliper slider bolts were kind of sticky anyway, so I bought a caliper hardware kit (which includes the anti-rattle springs) and installed it. When backing out of the driveway for a test drive, I heard one of the new springs pop off. Do you think this is because I used aftermarket parts? The truck has has brakes replaced a couple times now and I seem to remember that the original factory anti-rattle springs were much harder to remove and install than the aftermarket springs.
Should I try Mopar parts instead? Can you buy just the anti-rattle springs from Mopar?
Are these springs even needed? Even with the one spring missing I never heard the caliper rattling. I don't think they're required for safety or to hold the pads in. I'm thinking of just leaving them off.

Any advice?

Old 11-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Phat Mike

I bought mine from Dodge and they where not to bad .. under 5.00

Old 11-25-2011, 03:51 PM
crateampsrock
Veteran

something isnt right, I paid $25 for each of mine. They help to distribute the clamping force on the rotor. Without them you'll get a squeal and hot spots on the rotors...

Old 11-25-2011, 04:03 PM
spoolin'up

So has anyone else ever had problems with them popping off? One more thing I would mention is that the aftermarket clips were rubbing on the center 'hub' part of the brake rotor.
Maybe the holes in the caliper that the 'hooks' fit into are too worn? Like I mentioned before, the original factory clips were scary hard to install or remove. The new ones you can put on with one hand.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:40 PM
crateampsrock
Veteran

then they gave you the wrong ones... the ones I bought you had to use a set of kleins to install them.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:36 PM
spoolin'up

I think I might know the problem. I noticed that the 'divits' in the knuckle where the brake pads ride were pretty deep. This allows the caliper to sag a bit, and therefore the spring doesn't really have anything to press against. Yesterday I had a friend weld in the brake pad notches on the knuckle and we ground that surface smooth again. I'm going to put it back together and see if the springs fit better.

Quick Reply: 2002 front caliper anti-rattle springs