2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

I have a mighty lame horn horn for my Dakota - anyone running a better one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 02:21 AM
macgollabhride
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a mighty lame horn horn for my Dakota - anyone running a better one?

Through the, almost two months, that I've owned my 98 Dakota - I'm realizing how much it has been unsuccessfully altered/ effed with by it's previous owners. Some things are minor annoyances that I will be able to handle when I have a free Saturday. Some things will need some $aving up for a dealer visit but some of the issues with this Dakota defy logic on every level.
One of which is the horn.
Unless there the horn is somehow damaged, there is no way that the horn under my Dakota's hood belongs there. What I have sounds like a, "Hey, C'mon guys, please get outta my way or I'll just continue to wait until you stop laughing at it an move aside." The sound of the horn is kinda, eh-blah-whatever but the lack of volume is ridiculously low - it sounds like it should be in a Yugo or worse(?).

I will not run air and that's final and I know I'm limiting myself by that but I'm not looking to tear down buildings either. I just need something that will be more audible for the covered bridges that I have to honk at before I enter and blind train track overpass pass throughs that I frequent. Too many close calls so far.

I can properly handle electronic augmentations; relays, fuses (in-line or taking a blank from the panel), upgrading wiring and so-on if need be (I do plenty electric for a living that has helped me out with with working on past car/truck projects) but I don't care to get overly complicated beyond that.

Any success stories out there on a horn upgrade?
I'm nothing but open ears here.

Last edited by macgollabhride; 11-21-2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:10 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahahaha... I know exactly what you mean.

My Grand Prix horn lost its deep rumble and now sounds like it belongs on a VW Beetle.

I don't know how to repair it, but I'd definitely recommend getting one of those train horn kits (providing you have a little extra cash to spend). A friend of mine has one with like a 20 psi tank in the back of his truck, pretty damn loud.

edit: oops missed the part where you said you didn't wanna run air.

Last edited by sxrsil3nt; 11-21-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:29 AM
DakMan6704
Captain

I'm looking into trainhorns...but, no air means you just probably have to shop for a full size truck you like? maybe a 70s-80s full size car...? If you want that big of a sound, you'll be best there..or, might have to bite the bullet and go to air.

trainhorns or hornblasters actually might be local...they were on MMR a few years back...if you decide to go air powered...

Old 11-21-2011, 11:50 AM
zanethan
Veteran

It might just be clogged with mid or dirt. If not then I'd search for a different one that you like the sound of. One off of a 98 ram might even be plug and play.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:45 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

I got an air horn kit (small compressor, horns, tubing) from well I forgot where haha but it's awesome, loud and deep. I think it's the next best thing to a train horn, and it was pretty cheap. I'll try and find it online.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:41 AM
cycodude
Professional
Location: Live: Silverdale, WA; Work: WA, CA, VA, GA, FL; From: WV

Got this one from Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/bad-boy...orn-94117.html

Fits in the existing horn area and doesn't require any new wiring. Plug n play. Pretty loud, definitely gets peoples attention...

Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dodge ram horn. I know the one on our 07 is pretty beefy sounding

Old 11-22-2011, 05:30 PM
NickCornell
Veteran

My horn is Dixie land (dukes of hazard horn) seriously haha

Old 11-23-2011, 08:19 AM
crateampsrock
Veteran

They are failing to mention that Train horns are illegal in 48 states... Which is why mine is hidden in the rear drv. side fender panel. My regular horn is the 135db. twin trumpet air horn..$20 bucks and you plug it in to your exsisting wires... pretty easy..just face the trumpets down, they like to suck up dirt and crap.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:19 PM
macgollabhride
Professional

NICE!!! Thanks for the replies Fellas!

@sxrsil3nt, @DakMan6704: You got me thinking more about running air. Online, I kept running across these compressors that would have taken up WAY too much real estate in the bed but then @cycodude hit it outta the park for me! I had no idea that there were self contained kits that only required adding a relay. I’m annoyed that my searches didn't show me that before but now that I know, I’m all about going compact air!

@dodgeramguy85: I live less than five miles from a handful of salvage yards in S/W Philly – I’ll be on the lookout for a Ram horn of that series; by-the-way, that Dakota in your signature is effin’ sweet! I WAS on the fence about blacking-out my wheels but yours look great!

@dirtbiker: I’m interested in what you’re runnin’ – if you find any model numbers etc, let me know!

@zanethan: The one horn is just dead but the other one is now clean and wasn't all that dirty to begin with. Just having only the one working is basically the root issue; pairing them up seems to be the trick. You also prompted me to be on the lookout for a Ram horn when I hit the junkyard this Saturday.

@NickCornell: The Dukes of Hazard horn would be a **** but I’m looking more for this kinda sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUFv8mIMlgI and having that truck, itself, would be pretty sick also.

No slight intended to ANYONE; If it wasn't for the insight on the fact that Harbor Freight sold car/truck horns, I would have never know about compact air horn systems, at all but anything from Harbor Freight is a conditioned "No" for me. I'll buy tarps or Bungee cords from them but that's about it. When I hear the Name Harbor Freight, I instantly think "disposable tools" - don't even get me started on their power/motorized anythings. I’m better for it now but when I was starting out with my business, H.F. was a hard lesson learned. Sorry to sound so critical as, again, I don't mean to insult ANYONE.

OK-so, I was looking at the following horns (by online video/audio as a mere guide):

These were fine, I didn't love'em but they sounded louder then the db listing stated:
PIAA 85112 500HZ/600hz = 115db Sports Horn
PIAA 85110 400hz/500hz = 115db Sports Horn

These sounded KILLER but I couldn't find'em local and I didn't feel like waiting for them to ship/be delivered.
Stebel Magnum 139dB horn
Stebel 134 dB Truck Air Horn

…but I went with:
Fiamm E 72102 12V 500Hz 132db High Note One & Two Term
Fiamm F 72112 12V 400Hz 132db Low Note

This is how I heard them through my ears:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoIXBdYpfN0

I went to this sketchy little place sorta near my house that sells an impressive variety of horns along with stereos, amps, speakers, subs & boxes, undercarriage lighting, poorly done full-body decals, tint and they CASH CHECKS(?!...!). Anyways; I listened to a bunch of different horns including a few trumpet-type air horns that looked pretty menacing but the best ones (for my ears) were the E72102 & F72112 Freeway Blasters from Fiamm. Individually they were loud as hell but they sounded kinda lame though, if you pair them up they sound awesome! I’m putting them in tomorrow before turkey time. If they don’t cut it under the hood, I can return’em. I’ll let you all know how it goes…

Thanks again - hope the turkey isn't dry

Last edited by macgollabhride; 11-23-2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Embeded video didn't display and me no spells goodly tonight.

Quick Reply: I have a mighty lame horn horn for my Dakota - anyone running a better one?