2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

u joints?

Old 11-21-2011, 07:25 AM
Blaze10
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default u joints?

so i am just gonna go ahead and put my money on u joints but just in case ill post this anyway, i have had this clicked noise for awhile now and it is getting worse now it is my like a metal on metal screech, it becomes louder the more i give the throttle, in park it does not make this noise on when in gear, it is a quick screech like you can tell its something that rotates but it is like really quick. any ideas?

ps, no i did not check to see if any play in drive shaft, i think i will when i wake up i just got off work

Old 11-22-2011, 01:28 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default look at them first

look at them first if they are solid when you try to turn them then they are just fine because if it’s the U-Joints you will see it ASAP My truck makes a funny kind of tinkling from under it that I still can’t trace but my U-joints are solid no movement in them at all I think it’s one of my front wheel bearings I need a new Hub I think the bearings are dry it’s a bizarre noise sounds like I’m dragging a small chain behind my truck but a faint noise not loud.

I only hear it when I’m next to a wall that bounces the sound up into my cab if the window is open tinkle tinkle tinkle

Old 11-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Blaze10
Record Breaker

it was the rear u joint you couldnt move it in any direction can't believe it didn't bust apart going down the road, i had to use a big hammer haha i replaced both since i had it down

Old 11-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Blaze10
Record Breaker

and i know i need a wheel bearing an i know what the different sounds are, i guessed right! in the cold and rain this morning i laid on the wet ground it took me like 15 minutes to do with a c clamp to press them into place, easier then using a hammer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: u joints?