2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Car Stereo Install Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 10:13 PM
dlopez916
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Stereo Install Help!

I have searched and searched for a wiring diagram, but none match my 97 Dakota. I am getting NO Power to the stereo. I have the pink wire (which seems to be different) and the blue and white, blue and red wires. These dont match any diagrams I find online. Has anyone dealt with this, and what's the fix! Thanks!

Old 02-25-2012, 11:20 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to the forum. This should be the factory wiring info for your truck.

Constant 12 volts positive: Red or Pink
Accessory 12 volts positive: Red/White
Illumination: Black/Yellow
Dash light dimmer: Orange

Speakers:

Left Front (+) Green
Left Front (-) Brown/Red

Right Front (+) Purple
Right Front (-) Dark Blue/Red

Left Rear (+) Brown/Yellow
Left Rear (-) Brown/Blue

Right Rear (+) Dark Blue/White
Right Rear (-) Dark Blue/Orange

Check with a test light or volt meter to be sure you have power on your constant and accessory 12 volt wires. If you have power on both wires but the radio still will not turn on, you may have a bad ground. If you used the factory silver braided ground strap for your ground, cut it loose and run a new ground wire from the ground wire of the new radio down to one of the kick panels. Ground the wire in the kick panel to clean bare metal under one of the factory-installed nuts or bolts there. The factory radio ground straps are notorious for corrosion and contamination and do not make good grounds at all.

If you have no power on the constant 12 volts wire, you probably have a blown fuse. Check the fuses in both the interior fuse panel on the side of the dash and the fuses in the Power Distribution Center under the hood, next to the battery. It may or may not be listed in the owner's manual but look for a fuse that is labeled radio memory, clock, maybe cig lighter, or check the I.O.D. Ignition Off Draw fuse, if you have one. If all elese fails, be sure the ignition is off and pull each fuse out one by one until you find the blown fuse.

I hope that helps.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 02-25-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:43 PM
ibcnul8r
Professional

One of the easiest things I have found for wiring a new or different stereo other than factory, is to go to Car Toys and tell them you need the wiring harness for your year make and model. Wire it to your stereo and then just plug it in to your factory plug. I've done it this way on several of my vehicles over the years.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:01 AM
dlopez916

Jimmy-

You are DA MAN! Thanks for the tip on the IOC Fuse, fixed me right up! I appreciate it!

Old 02-26-2012, 01:28 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

YW. Glad to know it was an easy fix.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Car Stereo Install Help!