2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Reprogram a key fob 1997 Dakota?

Old 12-23-2011, 02:20 PM
padakota4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reprogram a key fob 1997 Dakota?

Hello fellow board members, I am a newbie & would like to intoduce myself. My name is Ed. I have a 1997 Dakota 4X4 V-8 Mag with one original key fob that works good. I purchased a boneyard key fob from another 97 Dakota 4X4 & would like to program it to work with my truck so I have a spare. I have a lock & an unlock button but no panic button on either fob as I've noticed in some internet posts. Can anyone tell me the correct way to reprogram the boneyard key fob without going to a dealer? Any help is much appreciated.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:33 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of good guys here. I have no idea if it works but you can try the programming procedure in this post:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-program.html

Before doing that I would say get a new battery for the remote control and stop by Advance Auto Parts, they have a keyless entry remote control tester on the counter that you can use to be sure your used remote control is working. They also sell the battery if you need one.

Other than that, maybe check with a good locksmith to see if he can program it.

Jimmy

Old 12-23-2011, 09:46 PM
ksJoe
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can a 4 button fob be used? It looks identical, but has a trunk open button.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:13 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It might work, the only way to know for sure is try to program it. The Dodge dealer could possibly tell you if it would work, but you would have to wonder if they are giving you correct info or are they just blowing smoke to try to sell you a new remote control and trying to sell you the programming job too. A good locksmith may have info on it as well.

Jimmy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reprogram a key fob 1997 Dakota?