2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

exhaust flange bolts

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Jmageee902004
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust flange bolts

I was wondering what size the exhaust flange bolts are on my 98 dodge dakota v6 4x4 auto i cant seem to get any size socket on it. I've got an exhaust leak from there, is this a common problem? it feels like the lower flange is loose and kinda looks like it rusted out. Also i was told that JB welding the sides of it could fix it as well. would JB hold up to the heat and pressure?

Old 12-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would imagine so, its good stuff! One guy at work told me they fixed something in a dump truck engine with it.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:34 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its not the heat and the pressure that you have to worry about its the movement of the pipes. I had a bad leak on my passenger side. I came to find out my flange rusted and let the bolt slide through which left it loose. I just cut the bolt off and put a new one in with a big washer on it so it couldnt pull through the hole again. Its not a new fix but will last a few years and didnt cost me a thing to do. Extra piece of info if you havent already pull the plastic inner fender do it to gain easier access to the flange

Old 12-29-2011, 05:53 PM
2daks
Professional

If the flange itself is toast they make a flange repair kit. Anywhere from 20 bucks for a Walker to about 5 for a cheap no name. Two "c" shaped pieces of metal and a couple nuts and bolts.

As for getting the bolts off the existing one try to come at if from the wheelwell with the tire off. Grinder or sawsall will save you some cussing. Aim right for the center of the bolt and cut it in two between the flange and the header. On my 97 the bolts just pass thru both flanges ( not threaded). New bolts and your done.

I used the repair kit for a few years then eventually replaced the y pipe when I did the whole exhaust.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:38 AM
macgollabhride
Professional

It's a problem with just about any kind of car/truck; metal + extreme heat & moisture = corrosion.

If you have a nut & bolt set-up, I'd just grind-off the head or bolt and smack out the remains. It will save a lot of time and no innocent bystanders will get hurt. Wheel well is the best way, that I know, to get to it easiest.

If you have a threaded flange... then you need to get creative:
DO NOT USE a rust penetrating fluid on a situation like this!

Depending on your tool arsenal, comfort-level and knowledge, a torch, drill/tap & die could be a possible option. I would, personally weigh out that option against replacement.

I hope that this is some kind of help.
Good luck, none the less.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Mr. Beefy
Rookie

Go to napa and get a flange kit it's 2 pieces of steel that replace the old rotted out flange. Did it on mine before I got the new exhaust worked great.

And yes just cut the bolts off they're gonna break anyway

Quick Reply: exhaust flange bolts