2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

No bus pls help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 05:35 PM
ReaperR/t
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No bus pls help

Hi guys. I bought a 02 Dakota r/t a week ago off a kid. He sold it cause he couldn't get it running. He told me he washed the engine then it ran funny, idled up then wouldn't restart. He put a used ecm in it and had it programmed at dodge, it'd start then stall. He threw a bunch of parts at it, got fed up and sold it.

When end I turn the key to on, not start, it comes up no bus and the security light flashes once. The key is grey but does not unlock the doors. I use the key fob to get in. I'm thinking the security system is shutting down the engine... I cleaned the ecm ground and looked at a few connections on the engine and ecm.

Any ideas? Thanks

Old 12-28-2016, 05:51 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

sounds to me like the Sentry Key system is shutting it off. That's not really a PCM issue, I believe the CTM handles that part.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:11 PM
ReaperR/t

I've had my share of dodge pickups but under 2000, this ctm stuff is new to me. I know where it is and I tried the cut the green/orange wire which apparently bypasses the door modules with the same result. Would a bad pcm fry the ctm? He said it's from him washing the engine

Old 12-29-2016, 12:57 PM
ReaperR/t

Little update, I did more trouble shooting this morning. I've tried everything and then I had the idea to take the ecm from my 01 ram 5.2 and see if it'd run. Fired up and ran great.... so my ram I believe dosnt have the skim key or any kind of antitheft... but doing this I believe narrowed it down to 3 things. Ecm, ctm or sentry key system. I'm leaning towards the ecm, it was a used one he had programmed. Would a damaged ecm take a programming? Or would it reject it? Thanks

Old 12-29-2016, 03:11 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

A damaged PCM may not be able to be reprogrammed or the dealer may not have flashed it correctly. It may be a hardware, not a software, issue.

SKIM (grey key) sends messages over the PCI bus to the PCM. With a NO BUS message, that would explain the shutdown.

SKIM needs to be programmed into the PCM when the PCM is replaced.

Be careful swapping PCM's. If you put one in a vehicle with security (CTM) it will enable it on the PCM and you can't reset it.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:56 PM
ReaperR/t

Ya I was worried about swapping pcms to that Dakota but I had to try it ! Lol

on the receipt he gave me from one of the better dodge dealership around here said " programmed used ecm still no start"

if I bring them just the computer can they hook it up or do I have to bring them the whole truck? its weird that the key dosnt work in the door but works in the ignition? One of the two must have been changed?

Old 12-29-2016, 04:13 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

It can be programmed out of the vehicle but the dealer may not have the tools to do so. Normally it is done in the vehicle with the DRBIII.

It does sound like you've had a lock replaced.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:26 PM
ReaperR/t

What do you think I should do? Cam I buy a programmed skim ? I'd rather not tow my truck there answer get a 2000 dollar bill

Old 12-29-2016, 05:57 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You can order replacement PCM's online, rebuilt. You'll provide them with some info including your VIN and mileage and they'll program it for you.

Just plug and pray...err play.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:58 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Hypothetical question.

SKIM is working properly

Door key cylinder is factory.

Ignition key cylinder was replaced.

Dealer had wrong key when programming PCM

SKIM was never programmed for the key that you have.