2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rear diff binding in 2003 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:30 PM
rmsteve
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear diff binding in 2003 Dakota

Hi fellas nice looking website didn't know it existed until I googled my problem. Going to spend a lot more time here checking it out as I too am a big Dodge truck fan.

Anyways if anyone can shed some light I have a 2003 Dakota Quad cab with the 4.7V8 and 3.9 gears. It's the AWD/4HI/4LOW type 4x4 set up and just recently the rear diff has started binding when in AWD. It's happened twice in the last week once while driving I noticed it when turning in a parking lot last tues. I reversed out of the bind and all seemed fine. Drove the truck all week and even took a little trip north on the weekend, all seemed fine. Yesterday I drove to work no problem but when I went to go home it bound up right away turning to get out of the parking spot. Revesed it out again but this time seemed a little harder to unbind.

I'm at the point where I know I have to take it to a shop and have it looked at but was kinda hoping someone here could shed a little light and might know what I'm in for as far as repair and cost.

Thanks in advance if you can help, Steve

Quick Reply: Rear diff binding in 2003 Dakota