2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

"no bus" problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 01:50 PM
zackleto@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "no bus" problem

hi. I have a 99 dakota 5.2l. Recently I had a idling issue which turned out to be my computer. I have gotten said computer replaced and while I was driving two days after my car shut off coming up to a stoplight. It was unable to start for about 2 minutes. I replaced my battery thinking it was that and it shut off while driving a week later with no bus sign coming up on the dash with all the gauges off. It wouldn't turn over so I had to get it towed. After the mechanic got it, it started right up for him so he wasn't able to diagnose it. I have already returned the computer because it was under warranty thinking it was bad but the new one still did it( was when i got the battery). Yesterday it did it died on me while driving again but there was no no bus code because it started right up
Any clues on what is wrong? THanks a lot- zack

Old 02-18-2012, 05:44 PM
SMjunkie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next step will be doing a "wiggle test" by grasping your engine wiring harness and giving it a tug in all directions at various points that you can access it. This may highlight a shorting issue. Check all your grounds that they are tight and looking ok, Including the one located behind the passenger side kick panel. If these check out OK then it sounds like a module on the PCM bus may be shorting intermittently. If a module brings down the BUS then none of the modules can communicate giving you your problem. These modules include the TCM (trans), the cluster (gauges), the central timer module and others. If you can get the problem to occur in a good place and for enough time, you can start disconnecting modules and see if the issue resolves, aside from the issues that arise from disconnecting said module. But from my experience this is caused by the PCM, the module you've replaced....twice. Understand that if you got a reman module from some cheeky aftermarket company they may have not resolved the problem from the cores they received considering the quality control test did not detect the intermittent problem the module may have...

Last edited by SMjunkie; 02-18-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Quick Reply: "no bus" problem