2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

99 dakota issues please help

Old 02-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Fugaz03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 99 dakota issues please help

I just got a 99 dakota with 89000 miles on it a week ago was running great and was just driving and would not change gears stayed in first n then lost all oil pressure. I drove it for about another 5 min at 30mph can anyone tell what happened and what kind of damage I caused and give me sum advise on what to check 1st

Old 02-19-2012, 12:09 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
You mean you lost oil pressure for the transmission or the engine? First thing I would do is check the fluid levels and see if you have any stored codes in the PCM. I will be moving your post to the 2nd Gen Dakota section.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Fugaz03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Thanks for the reply sorry havnt got back in touch have been busy doing alot of research on Dakotas I had dropped the tranny pan n it looked OK so did more research n alot of transmission problems are caused by the tps and also are known for losing oil pressure in engine. I am glad I did some research before spending alot money for things that wouldn't solve problem. I replaced the tps and drained tranny fluid and used a Chrysler tran fluid. Also changed oil n used thicker oil 20w 50 n truck is running great but I do still hear lifters when start up but goes away. I would really recommend anone with a Dakota any year with any shifting issues to try replacing tps and do not use dexron as I researched seemed to fix everyone's issues. Also if have issues with hoding oil pressure use a thicker oil not a permanent fix it will drop again around 3000 miles when u need oil dont bother changing gage sensor or oil pump will not fix problem. I'm so glad didn't spend all the money I thought I was

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 dakota issues please help