2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

FYI, info on light bulb under the dash

Old 05-12-2012, 03:45 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default FYI, info on light bulb under the dash

You guys may know this already, I just wanted to post what I did today, maybe it can help someone out later. There is a light bulb in the center panel, under my dashboard, it is the panel between the glove box and the knee bolster panel under the steering column. The bulb lights up the area on my floor console where the cup holder and the storage pockets are located. My light was flickering, sometimes it would come on if I hit a bump in the road, then it finally quit working altogether this past week.

I already had a hard time finding replacement light bulbs for my instrument cluster, so I called the Dodge dealer to see if they had this under-dash light bulb. They said they did not have it in stock and could not guarantee they can order the correct bulb..And it costs almost $4.00. The parts guy did give me the part number for the OEM bulb though, it's 5013815AA.

I looked online looking for cross reference charts for that bulb's part number. I found a post on www.ramforumz.com where somebody said it was the same as a LT-74 bulb. I went up to Advance and sure enough, they sell a Sylvania 74LL bulb, two in a pack for $4.99. I also bought some 5 amp mini- ATC fuses and replaced the fuse I blew when checking my dash light bulb circuit, somehow my test light popped the dash light fuse when I checked for power at the bulb harness. I plugged in the 74LL bulb and it works fine.

I am posting this because of the problems I have had finding replacement dash light bulbs for my truck. The guy on RamForumz had problems finding the right bulb too. I will say be careful when taking that dash bulb housing apart to remove the bulb, there is a little blue plastic lens that goes under the bulb, it might be easy to lose that small plastic piece. Mine fell into the storage pocket when I took the bulb housing apart.

Jimmy

The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (09-18-2021)
Old 05-13-2012, 07:40 PM
BlueQC
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use a #74 or #75 bulb the 75 is not as bright, as the 74 the LL is long life bulb? these bulbs are very common.Any local auto parts store should have them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FYI, info on light bulb under the dash