2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 Dodge Dakota- NO BUS- won't start-HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 08:51 PM
1000Blackcats
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2002 Dodge Dakota- NO BUS- won't start-HELP

I'm in a real fix, need ideas so I can get to work! 2002 Dodge Dakota with 3.9L V6 automatic. Suddenly died in middle of busy intersection, everything. At first NOTHING when turning key. Then after a minute would turn over but not start. NO gauges, all bottomed out, every warning light on, NO BUS where odometer is. Was running fine before! I'm ZERO mechanic oriented, I took my oil cap pliers, and I tapped, smacked everything I could see under the hood, couldn't afford tow, no one to call, what to lose? It started. Drove fine a couple days, now is dead again, same thing, except mileage shows, turns over, but won't start, well did once but died after a second or two. It's a pile of crap but still, has always ran. I really need help, middle of a divorce, and my only rig. Bad carpol tunnel, took me 20 minutes to write this.
I did open fuse box in engine, after googling, i wiggled fuses, nothing helped. Praying I can fix it, X won't even look at it he is enjoying me possibly walking to work.
I did get a 920,921, and 999 codes after utubing.

Last edited by 1000Blackcats; 03-27-2022 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:54 PM
supadoom
Veteran
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Those codes are related to PCM communication. Basically a bunch of stuff is trying and failing to talk to the PCM. Unplug the negative terminal from the battery. Then unplug the PCM connector. Look for any corrosion or other nastiness in the connector. Also check and see if there is any broken or damaged wires leading to it. Its possible the computer has failed. Also check the fuses. Pull and verify that the PCM and any seemingly related fuses aren't blown.

Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge Dakota- NO BUS- won't start-HELP