2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Viper 5701

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM
kyle3194
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper 5701

Well, I just joined the forum, I drive a 97 2wd with the 3.9 in it. She has roughly 163,000 miles, but still runs pretty good. I have done several things to it which I will post up later, but right now I am looking at installing a Viper Remote start system. The only reason I am doing this, is because I found one on nextech (craigslist for some people in Kansas) for 50 dollars! It is a 300 dollar unit at best buy so I really couldn't pass that up. Annnnd me being the inquisitive kid I am (or cheap, whatever) I am looking to install it myself. I have printed off the harness diagram and I think it looks pretty straight forward, I was just wanting to know if anyone has done one on the second gen before. It has the stock keyless entry also, which I saw while looking at the wiring diagram kinda throws an extra wrench in it. Any pointers or heads up would be appreciated! I'm looking to do this on Friday night hopefully.

Thanks!

-Kyle

Old 02-05-2013, 02:13 PM
5hundo
Professional

Is your truck an automatic? ...or manual?

Old 02-05-2013, 04:58 PM
kyle3194
Amateur

Auto, so that'll be a lot easier!

Old 02-05-2013, 05:42 PM
5hundo
Professional

Originally Posted by kyle3194
Auto, so that'll be a lot easier!
In some states, its actually illegal for someone to install an auto-start on a vehicle with a manual transmission. And with good reason! If you left your car in gear, and started your car with the push-button, it would drive away on its own...

I've never installed one on my truck, for exactly this reason. That being said, if you live in a colder, or warmer area, it's worth it to have it, simply so you can get your ECS working before you get into the car.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was looking at doing one but it really depends if you can find the diagram for your truck. My brother in law does them and he said vipers are old technology. I ended up getting a excalibur 50 series lcd 1 mile range kit. Lifetime warranty on it too. It ended up being a plug and play for our 07 ram. At that price you cant pass it up. Just have to watch out that you hook it up right or it can give you a headache that will last for weeks. As far as the whole manual thing there is things you can do to prevent it from starting in gear.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 PM
5hundo
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
As far as the whole manual thing there is things you can do to prevent it from starting in gear.
I'm sure there is. It could be as simple as tying into the nuetral safety switch but it's actually illegal in my state...

Plus, my DAK has manual locks, and manual windows, so I don't even have an electronic key fob. Kinda silly to have auto start on manual door locks.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:56 AM
kyle3194
Amateur

Ya I've acutally seen a video on 1,000 ways to die where a guy left his pickup in gear, did the remote start, and the pickup actually ran him over! As far as wiring it up, I saw on the bulldog security's website that they sell a t-harness for their remote starts. Theoretically, shouldn't i just be able to use this t-harness and cut off the plugs where it would plug into the bulldog's unit and just connect them to the viper? This way it would be just like a stereo install, plus i wouldn't have to cut into the ignition harness (which is a very good deal in my book). I'll just need to sit down sometime with both wiring diagrams (the bulldog, and the viper diagram) and draw up my on for connections. I think this would make it alot easier. Does anyone know if they make viper t-harnesses? I sure couldn't find one anywhere.

Thanks!

-Kyle

Quick Reply: Viper 5701