2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

99 4x4 dakota 5.2 auto ticking

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 11:08 AM
fonnzy8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 4x4 dakota 5.2 auto ticking

My dakota just started making a ticking sound when it warms up. I dont think its the engine as the sound seems to be coming from the tranny. It happens in all gears including neutral and speeds up with the engine rpms anyone else had this issue and know what it could be?

Old 07-31-2013, 02:42 PM
fonnzy8

The ticking seems to go away or at least quiet considerably under hard acceleration.
Anyone ever hear of this???? Help please!!!!!

Old 08-02-2013, 03:22 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Could be a few issues. Check your oil pressure make sure your getting proper oil..
Could be a clogged/slightly clogged oil squirt thingy. (Sorry cant think of the technical name) - In-laws has a Olds that requires Super Unleaded; it developed a ticking sound/knocking sound.. they ran some lucus through the oil and unkownling took it in to the shop for harmonic balancer replacement but the tech said theres nothing wrong with it.. must have had some crap clogging a oil squirt thingy .. (Again i'm sorry epic fail here) and issue was resolved.

Other than that.. it could be the PCV valve? I know the stock ones for our engines tick loudly.. rattle loudly I put a different one that was metal body.. less noticeable.

Also.. the ticking of the injectors.. mine tick.. probably the best thing to do is with a mech stethoscope go around the engine with it running and find out the area the sound is coming form then you can get an idea of what it might be.

Oh.. also the belt tensioner also makes a ticking sound as it moves back and forth sometimes.. i know mine does from time to time when its really humid and moist out..

Old 08-02-2013, 05:56 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it speeds up w/ engine rpm I would say it could be a lifter. Pretty common on 3.9/5.2's.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:16 AM
fonnzy8

It seems to be coming from the lower engine-tranny area that's why it has me confused. I don't believe it's a lifter but it could be I guess. Thanx for the suggestions I'll check them out. Might have to wait til Tuesday though mama is out of town and I have the little guy all weekend.

Quick Reply: 99 4x4 dakota 5.2 auto ticking