2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

My First Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your transmission woes are about the same as what I was having, and my experience is fairly recent. I suspect that, like mine, yours is electrical not mechanical--so a trans. rebuild/overhaul isn't in the works. Electrical problems are fairly inexpensive for trannie shops to fix if you can't get it.

That said, I would get a comprehensive wiring diagram for your year Dakota and try to trace out the pathway for powering the trans. solenoids and sensors. Relays and fuses often have unmentioned, hidden functions, at least they have on my older Dakota.

I imagine you're getting a bit tired of all this. Stick with it, tho, you will get it all straightened out and your Dakota will live again.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:31 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has been a bit frustrating replacing the engine only to have another problem at my doorstep.

I did have water in my transmission, but no more than 3 days and I drove it about 2 hrs total before my mechanic changed out my fluid. A lot of places I've found online say that if water gets in your transmission call it quits and rebuild it. I don't believe that since having a cooling line fail and fill your transmission up with coolant can be corrected by fixing your issue and replacing your fluid providing it was caught soon enough.

My transmission has been babied and only has 62,000 KMS on it so I don't think its ready to call it quits.

If I can't get this figured out on my own the problem will be finding a good trans shop. I have had one recommend to me but googling it gave it an average review of 2.8/5 stars...

I don't wanna go there and have a tech say "Ya.. needs a rebuild".

There are about 3 privately owned transmission shops and 1 chain (Mr. Transmission) but I will not use it because I've heard nothing but bad stories.

I'll try to do a little more research on all the electrical functions of my transmission. Suppose I'll start by testing the governor pressure.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:47 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Well son of a bitch.

Brian - you're a genius.

This morning I went out and swapped around a the engine and rad fan relays, trans relay, and the trans and o2 fuse and took it for a test drive.

Downshifted every friggin time. Can't believe it.

Let it sit for a while just incase it was a fluke, took it out again and it was downshifting. Sometimes it's a little late but everytime I came to a complete stop I would start in 1st.

I have noticed that the 1-2 shifts are a little harsh, and the 2-3 shifts are very fast... but I have OD and I took it out to a 90 km/h road (almost 60 mph) and I definitely had OD.

I think a few more tweeks and I should have my Dakota back.

Thank you so much guys, means a lot.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by sxrsil3nt
Well son of a bitch.

Brian - you're a genius.

This morning I went out and swapped around a the engine and rad fan relays, trans relay, and the trans and o2 fuse and took it for a test drive.

Downshifted every friggin time. Can't believe it.

Let it sit for a while just incase it was a fluke, took it out again and it was downshifting. Sometimes it's a little late but everytime I came to a complete stop I would start in 1st.

I have noticed that the 1-2 shifts are a little harsh, and the 2-3 shifts are very fast... but I have OD and I took it out to a 90 km/h road (almost 60 mph) and I definitely had OD.

I think a few more tweeks and I should have my Dakota back.

Thank you so much guys, means a lot.

You're welcome. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that the shifting might improve as you heat cycle the trans in the next month or so. I think I would, just to be on the safe side, flush the trannie after getting it warmed up like 5 times or so.

It took me $114 to pay a trannie shop to diagnose the relay fail on mine about a week ago. Glad I could pass the info on. We all are learning as we go along on these trucks.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:17 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Yeah I'll definitely consider a tranny flush.

Now that I know the truck is working properly I'll put the rest of it back together!!

I also forgot to mention that when I switched relays and fuses my CEL light went off but codes are still there. Do you know if the CEL is controlled by a fuse or relay?

Last edited by sxrsil3nt; 09-28-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:31 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

-adds relay/transmission issue to my note pad-

Old 09-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Yeah I'll definitely consider a tranny flush.

Now that I know the truck is working properly I'll put the rest of it back together!!

I also forgot to mention that when I switched relays and fuses my CEL light went off but codes are still there. Do you know if the CEL is controlled by a fuse or relay?

I don't know. Try disconnecting the negative battery cable and see if the codes clear.

You can check the CEL by turning the key to run, but don't start it. Light should come on but then go out after a few seconds.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:44 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Just thought I'd give another update,

Oh first Brian,

The CEL ended up coming back on, guess it just temporarily went out.

It's been a week and I've only driven it on the weekends since its only insured then...

Im looking to sell my Toyota and then fully insure my Dak within the next few weeks.

Engine runs smooth, I think I'll pick up a new set of plugs soon - it could use them.

Transmission will still downshift, however I have to be going 5 or under. Sometimes it doesn't know if it should go to 1st or 2nd, but I noticed if I feather the gas it'll perform fine.

4th gear (OD) tends to bang into gear so I'm a little concerned about that. It works though.

I've noticed a kind of "gurgling" sound coming from the engine/dash area. I think I may stil have some air trapped in the cooling system so I'll try to bleed the rest of that out.

Thanks again for all the help boys! The Dak has been saved.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:35 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

before you put it in. put brass soft plugs in. and be sure the engine has alinement dowels, in to the trany. if not it WILL knock out the flex plate.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:10 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Just thought I'd give another update,

Oh first Brian,

The CEL ended up coming back on, guess it just temporarily went out.

It's been a week and I've only driven it on the weekends since its only insured then...

Im looking to sell my Toyota and then fully insure my Dak within the next few weeks.

Engine runs smooth, I think I'll pick up a new set of plugs soon - it could use them.
Transmission will still downshift, however I have to be going 5 or under. Sometimes it doesn't know if it should go to 1st or 2nd, but I noticed if I feather the gas it'll perform fine.

4th gear (OD) tends to bang into gear so I'm a little concerned about that. It works though.

I've noticed a kind of "gurgling" sound coming from the engine/dash area. I think I may stil have some air trapped in the cooling system so I'll try to bleed the rest of that out.

Thanks again for all the help boys! The Dak has been saved.
I guess I'd take it out and give it an "Italian Tuneup,"* which is to take it out, kinda beat the hell out of it, get everything up to operating temps (which is more than a 15 mile trip) and see what happens. Check all the fluid levels, add oil, coolant, and ATF +4 as needed. The trannie will either survive or it won't. In which case you'll have to head back to the wrecking yard for a replacement one. Water in an auto transmission is not a good thing.

*aka: Australian Tuneup.

Quick Reply: My First Engine Swap