2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

My First Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 06:33 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
He was given a replacement motor, but it ended up having rust seized pistons, so then he bought a junkyard motor with a 6 month guarantee or some such thing. He transferred his almost new water pump to the junkyard lump.
oh ok. I must have missed that in the translation.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:30 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
He was given a replacement motor, but it ended up having rust seized pistons, so then he bought a junkyard motor with a 6 month guarantee or some such thing. He transferred his almost new water pump to the junkyard lump.
Exactly.

More importantly, mission accomplished.

Let me tell you - it wasn't fun trying to line the engine up with the transmission.

As for the POR15 oil pan - I had some left over from when I did my body work and it was gonna go bad soon. The oil pan had some rust spots so I figured meh, why not use it up now.

Pics of the new engine in:
IMG_20130915_181214_322_zps3c9b3c48.jpg

IMG_20130915_181223_659_zpscaa5c920.jpg

And while I was trying to line up the transmission I ended up accidently separating the transmission dip stick tube from the tranny and spilled quite a bit of fluid on my driveway. I have interlocking brick around my driveway and I now think it has a slight red tinge to it, so I'm not happy about that.

IMG_20130915_181241_382_zps4a2ddd5f.jpg

I am extremely happy to be done dropping the new engine in.

Throughout this week I'll go buy some new coolant, tranny fluid, oil etc and get her all put together. Ill probably start it sometime this week or next weekend.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 09-15-2013, 11:01 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome. Can't wait to read that you're all finished and it runs like a champ.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:04 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

so howbout that top end and rotating assembly of the other motor you had?

Old 09-16-2013, 07:46 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Yeah hopefully she fires right up. No knocks allowed. Haha

And sorry magnet what do you mean? Are you asking for the status of my original engine?

Old 09-16-2013, 10:02 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Oh I had another question in regards to what coolant I should fill it back up with. The engine I picked up had the typical green coolant but I remember mine had orange. My mechanic put orange in when he did my water pump in Jan 2012.

Should I buy green or orange (which I believe is Dex cool and is used on GM cars)? I know you shouldn't mix the two. Any suggestions?

Edit: just found out that Chrysler G-05 is orange too but I can't find it here in Canada. They sell prestone yellow or Dex cool orange... don't tell me I gotta go to the dealer now haha.
Thanks

Last edited by sxrsil3nt; 09-16-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The green stuff will do just fine. Get the concentrated stuff, not the stuff that's already watered down to 50/50. Then you do the watering down with distilled water--distilled water's a lot cheaper than coolant.

When you first get it started and driveable, I'd take only a short trip. Around the block a couple of times to get it warmed up, then home for a close visual inspection. You don't want to go far in case it is leaking coolant or motor oil. So baby steps to begin with.

Pulling for you. Hope it's a great engine!

Old 09-16-2013, 12:22 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Thanks Brian,

I don't know when I'll get it started yet. This week is extremely busy at work and I know I'll be doing OT.

My biggest concern is the timing cover and water pump leaking. I'm hoping they don't.

Whenever I have time after work this week I'll slowly be putting things back together.

Lets hope I can find some basic green coolant around here haha. Canada is stupid for a lot of auto things, at least the big name stores are.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:50 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Ended up picking up all the fluids I needed. I stayed with G-05 coolant (Zerex) since Walmart carried it. 2 jugs of the concentrate and 2 jugs of deionized water.

Installed the inspection plate which was a challenge thanks to that stupid bracket mounting the dif to the bell housing. Jacking up the front dif helped.

Starter is in, PS pump, and a thorough cleaning of all removal engine parts

Tonight hopefully I can do more.

Any picture requests while I still have it torn down?

Thanks for lookin!

Last edited by sxrsil3nt; 09-18-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:07 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Good news is I should have it started (providing everything is right) tomorrow!

Everything is connected, I just need to add oil and coolant and put on a couple other pieces (ie: fan shroud) but otherwise she should be ready to go.

Also, I found out that the reason why my transmission was having difficult downshift to first is because my TV cable is binding up somewhere. Ever since I killed it in the mud it has had a stiff gas pedal and that is because the TV cable is restricting the throttle from fully opening. With the throttle cable connected and the TV cable disconnected the gas pedal feels normal, but as soon as I connect the TV cable it is stiff again.

Just pulling on the cable alone you can feel it binding... I tried lubing it with some grease but doesn't feel any different. May have to replace it.

Quick Reply: My First Engine Swap