2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Can crankshaft position sensor cause miss?

Old 08-17-2013, 05:50 PM
ljinnc
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can crankshaft position sensor cause miss?

Can a crankshaft position sensor cause a miss? My 98 Sport 4x4 with 5.2 will do some missing as it reaches normal operating temp then after a short distance it levels out and runs good, have changed wires, cap, rotor, plugs coil and cleaned throttle body. No codes in computer, just that intermittent skip / miss. Any ideas?

Old 08-19-2013, 11:17 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I see no one has responded to you but yes; if there is some crap built up on it or the points on the fly wheel that cause it not to register correclty or it; it self is not working correctly it would mess with your firing...

However.. I'm gonna say this.. You really need a good quality OBDII reader that can read in real time going down the road.

One time My brother was able to borrow one to help me with my wife's Taurus she had and we were able to figure out the ECM was reading lower than normal voltage and also low fuel pressure - ended up being a bad fuel pump on it's way out..

Later some how he was able to determine that there was a vacume leak based off the readings of the scanner; there was a small tube behind the intake manifold you couldn't see that was cracked and disconnected causing a rough idle we thought was a slight miss or delayed fire.

If you wanna quickly try and figure out whats going on you need to see whats going on in real time and base everything against factory specs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can crankshaft position sensor cause miss?