2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 dakota 3.9 5speed p1389 problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:06 PM
shayetonk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota wont start after injector change

Hey guys Im new to the forum own four dodges and Im a do it yourselfer never post much but ive searched and searched and havent found any forums that describe my problem this is going to take alot of typing so bear with me please!

alright first off just bought my 3rd dakota a couple weeks ago its a 2000 dakota 3.9 5speed 2wd reg cab. and the previous owner put a used motor in it anyways, I bought it for 1000 bucks ran fine until it warmed up and then would start missing above 3000 RPMS I could hear spark knock and the whole works I own a programer and I checked the codes a code popped up P1391 which is loss of cam or crank signal so I replaced both with no fix..

Next I cleaned the throttle body and all the sensors and cleaned and replaced the battery terminals and changed pcm still no luck and finally I changed coil hoping to fix it still nothing btw I changed plugs cap rotor wires it needed it anyway

and yesterday I noticed the fuel injector wires were all spliced and twisted together like someone changed injectors to the pre 2000 style square plug style and did a ****ty job doing it. So anyways I have a 2000 durango parts truck that had a 318 in it and took the injectors and plugs off it and hooked them up to my dakota.

after I got done it wouldnt start and popped up a P1389 code which is a ASD code so I put different relay in still nothing. unpluged the injectors same code pops up and I read somewhere to hook voltmeter up to green inj wire and see if the OHMS read 0 they all did now I'm at a dead end and dont know what to do next please help im open to anything THANKS! Shayeton

Last edited by shayetonk; 09-04-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: better tittle
Old 09-04-2013, 11:11 PM
shayetonk
Default Please help somebody

I also forgot to mention checked all fuses all good plus I tried to clear the code as soon as I crank It comes back on with just the P1389 code WTF I need to get this thing going its my only truck right now Im stuck riding my harley till I get this thing going Any body? Im open to anything!

Old 09-05-2013, 12:38 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

This is one reason I would never buy a modified auto/engine swapped auto of any kind.

Mystery problems.

Good luck

Old 09-05-2013, 08:17 AM
shayetonk
Default yeah..

Yeah Ive never come across something like this before when buying a vehicle but at the same time I got this truck at less than half than its worth and all the parts were of parts trucks so basically free its just a pain

Old 09-05-2013, 01:31 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb

Look at the connectors for the CMP and CKP and check for dirt excessive oil in the contacts and check for grounding out of them on hot exhaust pipes or bare wires bad splicing of wires. Trace the CMP and CKP wires make sure they are ok.

Also check for wire corrosion inside the connector and the wire its self the inside of the wire may be corroded and you cant see it.

Some links

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cj-yj-tj-jk/40891-p1391-help.html

http://www.dodgedakota.net/boards/v8/10293.html

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 09-05-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:16 PM
shayetonk

Thanks for the reply I checked the links out seems like ill try some more stuff Yeah I sprayed all the connectors last night but I might try to do a better job tonight with a toothbrush and some more electrical cleaner the cam and crank sensors are brand new so I think they are good? Today I found out that it starts right up and runs fine if I put jumper wires in the ASD relay spot I even tried unpluging the coil to see if that was the ASD Relay prob nothing so Im going to clean some connectors and ill let you know!!

Quick Reply: 2000 dakota 3.9 5speed p1389 problems