2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Learning from Mistakes, 4.7L QC 4x4 automatic build

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 01:15 AM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Learning from Mistakes, 2001 4.7L QC 4x4 Auto build

So guys as many of us know, the 4.7L is a bastard engine with little to no aftermarket help. First things first, my first attempt at improving this truck was a complete failure (and might have cost me an engine). As some already know I'm trying to accomplish breaking the 300 hp at the flywheel, without custom parts, so stuff any of us can buy. Personally I'm actually trying to best the current 4.7 that makes 310 and do 315. As for torque, I have no idea how high that might get, I'm expecting it honestly to clear 350 maybe 375 at the flywheel and yes I know that is Hemi territory.

But through a lot research and what will be some risks, I have new mods list now. That will hopefully be done by this time next year but huge chunks will be done by the end of this one. So here goes nothing:

45-->5-45RFE TCM change out (Done)
5.7L HEMI - 5-45RFE Breakaway Torque Converter
45-545RFE Electric Line Pressure Booster
4.10 differentials (next year most likely)

PCM upgrade: 6,000 rpm redline change, SCT tuning most likely
180 degree thermostat
Electric fan conversion

Cold Air Intake
Fastman TB (Done)
2008+ Intake Manifold (with adapter of course)

Fuel injectors (This is still being researched)
4.7L SOHC Solid Lash Adjusters (This is still being researched)

3" single tube exhaust (If cat requires it)
High-flow catalytic converters (Problem child)
Magnaflow muffler
Single pipe out the right side
No stupid shiny chrome tip

Currently I need just some help with the cats, does anyone know how free flowing the stock cats, direct fit performance cats are (magnaflow replacements) or will I need to step it up and modify the whole system to 3" piping? (This can save me hundreds)

When I figure this catalytic converter problem, I'm going to okay the purchasing of parts. THEN YALL GET TO SEE PICTURES!!!!

Last edited by Blacknights; 09-12-2013 at 02:15 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:09 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand, why not swap in a 5.7?

Old 09-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Blacknights
Veteran

The normal price for for a complete new Hemi engine set up is over $5,000, people who have done it are lucky and normally get deals where someone has a used set-up. Where I lived there was no way I was going to be that lucky. The junkyards had wait lists for Hemi engines coming in.

I didn't have to pay for a new 4.7L, plus all the added equipment can be done by an aspiring mechanic with a good tool kit (save thousands in labor). The truck isn't out of commission longer then a weekend. The total cost for this list is half of new hemi probably, maybe the same price as used one. This is also a project to help 4.7L owners see what they can do with their trucks. Like I previously stated, this is a project to push the old 4.7L to the limit of what it can do.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:49 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

This has been done look in past posts

Old 09-13-2013, 12:42 AM
Blacknights
Veteran

The posts aren't terribly easy to find or aren't helpful to me. Guys, I'm not saying I am the first one to do this. I'm saying this is what I'm going to do, I'm going to build a parts list, direct links for others to buy it as well, pics of install and hopefully when I get it out to MO take it to track and see what times she'll run.

My objective right now is to teach and assist others, I care more about helping others and giving more facts or know how to the forum for our guests and members to take advantage of. Another reason I'm doing this is data piling everything for a one stop shop. I'm more then happy to compile data and info in one spot here on the forum. So others can not only benefit from my previous research and work, but save themselves time and any frustration. My mission is to be out there answer any question I can, help when others need it, learning more everyday so I can help others who want it.

Sorry if that rant seems like a rant, but your not the first person to tell me this. I just rather people understand I'm not here for glory, bragging rights or a medal; I'm here to be a teacher and a student.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:26 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blacknights
So guys as many of us know, the 4.7L is a bastard engine with little to no aftermarket help. First things first, my first attempt at improving this truck was a complete failure (and might have cost me an engine). As some already know I'm trying to accomplish breaking the 300 hp at the flywheel, without custom parts, so stuff any of us can buy. Personally I'm actually trying to best the current 4.7 that makes 310 and do 315. As for torque, I have no idea how high that might get, I'm expecting it honestly to clear 350 maybe 375 at the flywheel and yes I know that is Hemi territory.

But through a lot research and what will be some risks, I have new mods list now. That will hopefully be done by this time next year but huge chunks will be done by the end of this one. So here goes nothing:

45-->5-45RFE TCM change out (Done)
5.7L HEMI - 5-45RFE Breakaway Torque Converter
45-545RFE Electric Line Pressure Booster
4.10 differentials (next year most likely)

PCM upgrade: 6,000 rpm redline change, SCT tuning most likely
180 degree thermostat
Electric fan conversion

Cold Air Intake
Fastman TB (Done)
2008+ Intake Manifold (with adapter of course)

Fuel injectors (This is still being researched)
4.7L SOHC Solid Lash Adjusters (This is still being researched)

3" single tube exhaust (If cat requires it)
High-flow catalytic converters (Problem child)
Magnaflow muffler
Single pipe out the right side
No stupid shiny chrome tip

Currently I need just some help with the cats, does anyone know how free flowing the stock cats, direct fit performance cats are (magnaflow replacements) or will I need to step it up and modify the whole system to 3" piping? (This can save me hundreds)

When I figure this catalytic converter problem, I'm going to okay the purchasing of parts. THEN YALL GET TO SEE PICTURES!!!!
I'm very interested in this build and will be following it. I plan on doing a build similar to yours in due time, only thing is I'm gunna do the HO swap. Got a motor sitting at my buddy's waiting to be built. I'm very interested in the tranny upgrades and how they turn out. How is it since the TCM change out? What Fastman TB did you go with?

As for the magnaflow cats at muffler, I'm pretty sure I saw a complete kit on carid.com. If not I'm sure summit racing has them. Let me know how the 3" piping goes too, I was thinking of increasing the size of the piping, but wasn't thinking of going any bigger than 2 3/4". These fuel injected things like their back pressure. I am too keeping just the one pipe out the right rear, straight out, with a "stupid shiny chrome tip" :P lol. Gunna go with a 3" chrome tip I figure.

Make sure you post lots of pics. Like I said, I'm very interested in this

Old 09-13-2013, 02:01 AM
Blacknights
Veteran

TCM is just fine, plugged it right in and haven't had a problem. The tranny did take a day or two completely understand how to use the new and unused 5th gear properly. I just went with his suggested one, I have the 68.5. I will attest to it does help, you can feel it. It may not make the truck "faster" but you can tell the engine really likes it.

I'm SOL with the HO cams, if I find them good, if I don't I'll live.

As for the exhaust I've been talking with magnethead, what I'm going to end up doing it looks like is a Magnaflow direct fit single cat system (gets rid of the precats), Magnaflow single pipe out the side, all standard piping size (2.5"). My objective is to keep the back pressure which this should, but reduce the over pressure choking that occurs in the 4,500-6,000 rpm range. Plus I'm now just about convinced on upgrading the fuel injectors, right now it is just money.

Notes:The cold air intake is being drop from the mods list as it is not worth it and the stock system is actually very good as is. As for the chrome disagreement, it's fine. Personally I love the idea of sleepers.

No problem, as for photos, do not expect anything til after Thanksgiving. That is when I get home from college and the truck will get the first part of the overhaul.

Last edited by Blacknights; 09-13-2013 at 02:15 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:18 PM
DakinUK
Veteran

I'm very interested in this project as I've done most of the mods you are intending to do. I'd be very interested in how the new Cat set up works out. I've made my own cat-back system but would like to know how much better it would be with a freer flowing cat.
Personally, I don't think you'll even get close your target without changing the cams. If you go ahead with the standard, non HO cams and fit the 2008+ manifold, you'll actually lose power! HO cams will be a lot better suited to that manifold and will help a lot but you won't hit 300+BHP with getting custom race cams and possibly a custom made manifold. At this point you'll be losing a lot of street drivability.
I know this from experience. I fitted a set of KRC (no longer in business) 212x cams (slightly more lift and duration than factory HO's) to the standard (2000) manifold and was rather disappointed. Sure, they gave a LITTLE more top end but they also lost a lot of mid range. It was that bad that I fitted a high stall converter just to get it off the line! I then fitted a 2005+ manifold and it was transformed. It got all its low and mid range back as well as a storming top end, pulling all the way to the shift, rather dropping off after 5500rpm. I went for the 2005+ over the 2008+, as again, its better for the street. The 2008+ makes a little more at the top end but for a loss of low and mid range.
I've never had mine on a dyno, so can't tell you what it makes. On the strip, its done 15.8's @ 83MPH. With big, knobbly tyres!

Old 09-30-2013, 04:37 AM
Blacknights
Veteran

Can you please give me your grind numbers? I like your idea on the 2005+ intake manifold. I will look at that, as I 100% prefer the street performance.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:11 PM
DakinUK
Veteran

Sorry for taking so long getting back to you. I've found the grind numbers for my cams.

212-502-12 there was also 98-24-07 written below that, not sure if that was just a part # or is part of the grind profile!

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Learning from Mistakes, 4.7L QC 4x4 automatic build