2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

IAC to MAF IDEAS!!!

Old 10-04-2013, 11:25 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IAC to MAF IDEAS!!!

ok so i know this sounds wierd but im looking to convert from IAC to MAF on my 97 5.2L dakota. i want to mod it out but dont want to have to send the computer out every time i change injectors or intakes or tb. also looking to gain some gas mileage or power either works. i think the motors would run a lot smoother and stronger if it was more fine toned. i just installed a wide band air/fuel gauge. so ill see where i read there also have oil temp and fuel pressure. so hopefully i can adjust everything to work at peak with min work and cost.
unless anyone else knows of a better cheaper way to do what im looking for. im open for ideas on the install as well as other options

Old 10-05-2013, 01:06 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Do you mean MAP to MAF? IAC is the idle air controller.

IMO a MAP is more sensitive than a MAF. a MAF is better at metering the flow to calculate stoich, but a MAP is better at compensating for air density changes.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:08 AM
atthewmartin114
Veteran

so what your telling me is if i bolt a k04 or a t3t4 to my down pipe my computer will comp for the air density better and air flow better with the Iac???

that makes no sence to me. i tried to change the injectors and it did nothing but load up and run like **** i figured a Maf would resolve such issues

Old 10-06-2013, 03:16 PM
DK Pony
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe he is saying you have your systems confused.
IAC is the Idle Air Control.
MAF is Mass Air Flow
MAP is Manifold Absolute Pressure
The MAF and MAP are kinda similar but not really. One came before the other but they are very different.
I would think that if your vehicle didn't come with a certain sensor or system then the ECU is not going to have the necessary software and information to use it properly.
Changing the ECU alone wouldn't do it you would have to change the sensors to match the ECU as it does more with other systems the newer the vehicle..Sounds like a PITA to me.

Last edited by DK Pony; 10-06-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:49 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by DK Pony
I believe he is saying you have your systems confused.
IAC is the Idle Air Control.
MAF is Mass Air Flow
MAP is Manifold Absolute Pressure
The MAF and MAP are kinda similar but not really. One came before the other but they are very different.
I would think that if your vehicle didn't come with a certain sensor or system then the ECU is not going to have the necessary software and information to use it properly.
Changing the ECU alone wouldn't do it you would have to change the sensors to match the ECU as it does more with other systems the newer the vehicle..Sounds like a PITA to me.
What DK said. MAP and MAF are two very different systems, and not interchangable.

MAP is basically a barometer sensor placed in the intake stream. As the throttle blades open, the manifold vacuum decreases and thus, the manifold pressure increases. Combined with the Throttle Position Sensor, the PCM can use both inputs to derive exactly how much air is flowing into the motor, and set the injector duty cycle for a stoich based on that incoming air volume.

MAF is basically a heating element placed in the intake stream. The wire is heated to a specific temperature (I've heard numbers from 120F to 170F), then the temperature of the element is read during vehicle operation. As more air enters the motor, it will carry away heat from the wire, and the wire temperature goes down (meanwhile, IAT goes up). Combined with a Throttle Position Sensor, the PCM can calculate how much air is moving into the engine based on how much the wire has cooled and how far open the throttle blades are.

MAF is more popular on boosted setups because it can meter a very specific window of air volume flowing in, for a better tuned stoich- It also is very good for compensation going from sea level to a high altitude (denver) since it meters actual air volume. But the heating element can go out or the thermistor can read erratically, and the life span is thus shorter. MAP is more popular on N/A setups because it can manage the manifold vacuum compared to the ambient barometric pressure, and is much cheaper and more robust. But if you go from sea level to Denver, it will detect an air pressure change and change the stoich accordingly, but not near as accurately as the MAF.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:52 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by atthewmartin114
so what your telling me is if i bolt a k04 or a t3t4 to my down pipe my computer will comp for the air density better and air flow better with the Iac???

that makes no sence to me. i tried to change the injectors and it did nothing but load up and run like **** i figured a Maf would resolve such issues
bigger injectors means more flow rate. If the PCM ignores the O2's or the O2's are not reading right, the PCM will keep the injector duty cycle the same. same duty cycle + more fuel volume = more fuel. Unless more air enters the manifold, the motor runs stupid rich and you start fouling spark plugs. After a while, the PCM *should* realize that the O2's are showing stupid rich, and close the injector duty cycle some. But that doesn't always happen.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:15 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran

ok i understadn the differances in the map and maf. and the IAC now here is my thing. i have a cold air intake over sized y pipe and 1.6.1 rockers. i also did the kegger intake mod. and not i have a huge air increase but no fuel increase to go with it because it just loads up stupid when i change the injectors. i even tried flashing to the r/t setting but no differance. and the check engine light came on for the trans. (stupid ****) any suggestions for that.

im also looking to but some kid of bult on power booster

Old 10-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by atthewmartin114
ok i understadn the differances in the map and maf. and the IAC now here is my thing. i have a cold air intake over sized y pipe and 1.6.1 rockers. i also did the kegger intake mod. and not i have a huge air increase but no fuel increase to go with it because it just loads up stupid when i change the injectors. i even tried flashing to the r/t setting but no differance. and the check engine light came on for the trans. (stupid ****) any suggestions for that.

im also looking to but some kid of bult on power booster
To a certain degree, the PCM will compensate for the extra airflow by adding more fuel (longer injector duty cycle). It's hard to say, though, if that will be enough in your case. How does it run now, with the stock injectors?

Old 10-08-2013, 07:07 AM
atthewmartin114
Veteran

lean according to the modius (obd 2 snapon computer for those who dont know) and the airfuel gauge i installed. i have checked everywhere for vacume leaks and there none so that not an issue i though it was at first.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:41 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Question

You may have slow/old O2 sensors or and the same with your MAP sensor starting with all new sensors may be you answer.

Your system should adjust for any mod you make

I would think only one mod could confuse the system a (higher flow injector) but it should try and adjust even for that if the sensor array is running as it should.

You don’t use an cat O2 fooler do you? If so this could be what is going on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IAC to MAF IDEAS!!!