2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

brake issue 99 dakota sport

Old 10-03-2013, 06:59 PM
pigcatshiner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake issue 99 dakota sport

ok,I replaced all the lines that go to the front of the truck...new calipers and pads..Lines bled out as usuall...Yesterday the wife said she lost the brakes again..Thinking it might be the line going to the back.So I checked it tonight..I see no sign of fluid anywhere...The resevore was almost empty..
Where did the fluid go..Shouldn't I be able to see it around the fram or the wheels if it were leaking in these areas? Where do I go from here now...This truck only has like 79000 on it...Help me out if you can..John

Old 10-04-2013, 12:13 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I moved your post to the proper forum.

Check for leaks, pulls the drums off too. If you don't see anything it is possible for the master cylinder to leak into the power booster.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:53 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Brake fluid is kind of weird in that any leaks don't show as easy as you think

Why did you think it was the brake lines? They don't go bad usually

Pull the rear drums off and check for leaks

Anytime you do brake work always check the fluid level every day to be sure things are OK

Old 10-04-2013, 02:32 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
I moved your post to the proper forum.

Check for leaks, pulls the drums off too. If you don't see anything it is possible for the master cylinder to leak into the power booster.
This. If the drums were leaking enough to drain the MC, you'd have puddles of a significant size. More likely, you have a power booster full of fluid. Enjoy- It is not fun.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:16 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Not necessarily it gets pumped out as you drive so no puddle at all you may have a small puddle.

I’m betting on one of the new connections not correct/crooked or a loose bleeder.

It’s weird but DOT 3 kind evaporates ASAP on driveways

Old 10-04-2013, 05:23 PM
pigcatshiner

thanks--will check the connections again tomorrow...pouring out there now..lol

Old 10-04-2013, 09:55 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ok brakes

ok well first things first with the design of the master on this truck the fluid will run down the firewall and hit the exhaust and burn so its probably not that. and to replace the booster is 6 bolts and 1 clip. i actually just replaced mine last week. now if you had a line go out the pvalve probably limited the front brakes so the rear were doing all the stopping. when you bleed the brakes you would bleed normal once the valve opened it tookl the fluid and pushed the air to the rear and probably some to the front as well. i would state by opening all the bleeders and letting gravity pull some fluid continue to top off the fluid. then once there is fluid at all the tires starting with the right rear then the left rear then the right front then the left front. bleed all the brakes again. also remember that dirty brake fluid can cause a ****ty peddle.

if this doesnt help you may have a bad master. they tend to start to take on air where the container hooks up. also if you live anywhere in New York or at least most of ny we use salt on our roads in the winter so brake lines rot out really quick. i actually replaced mine with copper (costed an *** load but works well)

wheel cylinder rubbers use a flat screw driver and pull the flap back if it full of fluid replace them do them both its better and there cheap. Rockauto.com best place for parts online i have found.

i hope this helps.

matt

Old 10-05-2013, 01:03 AM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Not necessarily it gets pumped out as you drive so no puddle at all you may have a small puddle.

I’m betting on one of the new connections not correct/crooked or a loose bleeder.

It’s weird but DOT 3 kind evaporates ASAP on driveways
every leaky wheel cylinder I've had, left a puddle under the drum when parked. Or at the very least, left a mark on the tire a-la a leaky axle seal.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:03 PM
pigcatshiner

Originally Posted by atthewmartin114
ok well first things first with the design of the master on this truck the fluid will run down the firewall and hit the exhaust and burn so its probably not that. and to replace the booster is 6 bolts and 1 clip. i actually just replaced mine last week. now if you had a line go out the pvalve probably limited the front brakes so the rear were doing all the stopping. when you bleed the brakes you would bleed normal once the valve opened it tookl the fluid and pushed the air to the rear and probably some to the front as well. i would state by opening all the bleeders and letting gravity pull some fluid continue to top off the fluid. then once there is fluid at all the tires starting with the right rear then the left rear then the right front then the left front. bleed all the brakes again. also remember that dirty brake fluid can cause a ****ty peddle.

if this doesnt help you may have a bad master. they tend to start to take on air where the container hooks up. also if you live anywhere in New York or at least most of ny we use salt on our roads in the winter so brake lines rot out really quick. i actually replaced mine with copper (costed an *** load but works well)

wheel cylinder rubbers use a flat screw driver and pull the flap back if it full of fluid replace them do them both its better and there cheap. Rockauto.com best place for parts online i have found.

i hope this helps.

matt
yeah,I am in Alpine NY....i REPLACED all the front lines.The rear lines looks good yet..I gravity bled all the brakes..BUT there still is a spongey peddel and it slowly goes to the floor..I am thiunking master cylinder as well..I was told if it is getting fluid into the vacumn booster that it would make the engine smoke like hell ? All fittings are tight..All bleeders tight as well..No sign of any leaks what so ever ? so are we gonna change the master cylinder? would air in the cylinder cause the same type of problem/

Old 10-06-2013, 07:24 PM
magnethead
Legend

when you say gravity bled, do you mean you just let the bleeders hang open until fluid came out? We always pressure bleed with the down-open-close-up method using two people. It forces the air out instead of letting the air float to the top of the lines, making the problem worse. I'm wondering if that is your problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brake issue 99 dakota sport