2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Antifreeze leak question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Jeremy98dakota
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze leak question?

I just started to get and antifreeze leak and it is coming from the passenger side of the radiator. It is not coming from the bottom radiator hose but from higher up on the radiator.

It appears to be coming from the grommets where the trans cooler lines goes into the radiator?

Is that possible? If so would it leak antifreeze or transmission fluid? And would i need a new grommet or could i shove the one back inside to where it is supposed to be?

I plan of removing the fan shroud to get a better look but was wondering to remove the shroud you also have to remove the clutch fan, right? Plan to do it tomorrow as it is cloudy/rainy today.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:09 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

I guess it's possible to leak from anywhere. Used wisely, JB weld can buy you time or fix permanently. The usual suspect for leaks is the seam where the plastic side tanks are crimped to the aluminum core. The crimps weaken and sometimes you can squeeze them back info shape with some pliers to stop the leaks. You don't need to remove the fan or clutch but you'll have to deal with the fact that the washer and antifreeze tanks are part of the shroud. A hand pump might come in handy.

If you end up needing a radiator, this is the one to get. It has more capacity than the junk sold in auto part stores. Free shipping too.

Amazon.com: CSF 3516 OEM Style Plastic Tanks and Aluminum core (Manufactured with steel crimps to strengthen radiator by 40% Over O.E.) Dodge Dakota 2000-2002: Automotive Amazon.com: CSF 3516 OEM Style Plastic Tanks and Aluminum core (Manufactured with steel crimps to strengthen radiator by 40% Over O.E.) Dodge Dakota 2000-2002: Automotive

** Edit*** Double check that radiator to make sure it will work for your 98'.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 04-14-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:46 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it's possible to leak coolant, not just antifreeze. When your rad fails it can sometimes leak coolant into your tranny which is a big problem. I would double check that just to be safe.

IIRC, there are no orings or gaskets on the tranny cooler lines, just threads.

And the fan shroud on my 02 is a two piece design but it's probably simpler to just remove the clutch fan. I know the shroud is connected by 2 clips that slide into each other but would likely be a pain to get at these clips.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:07 AM
Vladek
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it is you tranny lines that go into the rad. be carefull.. they are aluminum (both nut and threads in the rad). might not be able to get the tranny line back in do to corrosion. i learned that the hard way on my durango. the radiator shop here in town told me that it is a 50/50 shot on reusing the threads. plus, that connection is a different thread size that makes is a pain for cleaning out the threads or just retapping them.

as for removing the fan shroud. you do have to remove the clutch fan since it is one piece. dodge change the shouds to a 2 piece in 2000 or 2001. but on the plus side you won't have to worry about the window washer fluid or the antifreeze resevoir.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze leak question?