2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Service 4WD light on I 'm tired of it

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 07:39 PM
garciajuanelo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service 4WD light on I 'm tired of it

Hello people of the forum and thanks for reading about my problem, well I have a 2002 Dakota 4x4 V8 4.7.
The problem started a few months ago in the summer time about June, well the light will come on and when I start the truck drive for a few miles turn it off and restart the truck and the light will be gone and also realized that the light never came on in the morning when it was cold it always came on if it was above 75 degrees ambient, for the first 4 months and then it started coming on no matter what temperature it was and also realized that when the service 4WD light was on the lights inside the cab took about 2 minutes to turn off after driving and the power locks didn't lock and also the head lights will turn off if I was driving for more then 30 minutes, and also some mornings when I started driving the truck sounded like it was on 4wd it will do it for about 2 minutes and then the engine sounded like normal 2WD.

So to all of this I came to the conclusion after searching here in the forum that it was the CTM no doubt and today I went to the wrecking yard and got one of a 01 durango and a 4WD switch and tried them both and neither one made a difference, when I installed that used CTM and started the truck and stepped on the gas it sounded like it was on 4WD even though the "service 4WD" light is on and non of the LEDs were on of the 4WD switch.

Back when this whole thing started the "service 4WD" will be on and the LED will be on 2WD because that's what I was using I rarely use 4WD I just want to fix it in case I need it some time.

One more thing a couple of months before every thing started we were driving for about 1 hour and suddenly the truck didn't want to go more than 60 MPH and the engine sounded like it was on 4WD so we pulled over and then realized that the switch was on "4WD HI" one of my kids played with the switch so we drove the truck on freeway with the switch on "4WD HI"

Could that be the cause of my whole problem?
Is that that why sometime the engine sounds like it is in 4WD and then go back to the regular 2WD sound. I am posting the picture of my CTM and the one I got of that Durango that is the one with the blue letters.

If the problem is the CTM, do I have to buy the exact same one and new for my truck?

Thanks to all of you who are reading my post hope to get some good help.

Last edited by garciajuanelo; 08-03-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:12 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The CTM doesn't control the shift motor in the transfer case. It's controlled by the transfer case control module.

If you'd been driving with the t-case in 4wd for a while on dry pavement then yes, that could be the problem. The Nv233 is a part time system, not full time. There could be some internal damage to the transfer case.

If the "service" light is on then it is tripping a fault code. The most cost effective thing is to get it read. This usually requires a visit to the dealer since most scanners can't read body codes.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:29 PM
garciajuanelo

Hey thank you 00dakdan for mentioning the transfer case control module I tried another one of those too also from 01 durango and before I tried this one part las week the "service 4WD" light would still come and go and my head lights would still turn off after 30 minutes driving and the LED on the switch was on 2WD but after I tried this part because I thought this was the CTM yea stupid me,so after triying this part now the "service 4WD" light is continuously on and non of the LEDs are lit on the 4WD switch and my headlights have not turned off even after 30 minutes of driving and my power locks work just fine.

thanks for reading and helping

Old 01-19-2014, 09:39 PM
Dakota Greg
Professional

Not sure what the dakotas in 2002 with the 4wd but my 99 could do 100+ in 4wd street racing and running the freeway. My moms 2010 dakota can do any speed 4wd up to 80 we have done in it. So 60 seems like a transmission problem maybe OD not working right?

Old 01-19-2014, 09:45 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont get how an engine sounds like its in 4wd. Engine sound has nothing to do with 4wd or 2wd both will sound the same. Only time you will notice 4wd is if you are in 4lo but you wont have much top speed and shift points will be rougher than normal.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:02 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
I dont get how an engine sounds like its in 4wd. Engine sound has nothing to do with 4wd or 2wd both will sound the same. Only time you will notice 4wd is if you are in 4lo but you wont have much top speed and shift points will be rougher than normal.
I concur.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:04 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by Dakota Greg
Not sure what the dakotas in 2002 with the 4wd but my 99 could do 100+ in 4wd street racing and running the freeway. My moms 2010 dakota can do any speed 4wd up to 80 we have done in it. So 60 seems like a transmission problem maybe OD not working right?
it's one thing to do highway/street racing. But you try to turn on concrete with 4WD enabled, and you're just asking for a broken chain/chipped tooth in the transfer case.

The rare AWD dakotas had a front/rear differential rather than being locked up.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:19 PM
garciajuanelo

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
So does that mean that my truck is stuck on 4WD Lo and it just stops making that rough noise after it reaches a certain speed?
but how does it affect my other electric problems that used to happen?

also back in november went to California 12 hour drive with the "service 4WD" light on and the truck had no weird sounds except that the headlight turned off about 10 times and the power door locks didn't work and we re traveling at about 80-90 MPH

Old 01-19-2014, 11:55 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by garciajuanelo
So does that mean that my truck is stuck on 4WD Lo and it just stops making that rough noise after it reaches a certain speed?
but how does it affect my other electric problems that used to happen?

also back in november went to California 12 hour drive with the "service 4WD" light on and the truck had no weird sounds except that the headlight turned off about 10 times and the power door locks didn't work and we re traveling at about 80-90 MPH
top sped in 4Lo is like 40 MPH tops...you'd be against the RPM limiter.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:48 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Headlights and door locks are the CTM, the "Service" light is the TCCM. You have two problems, not one.

I agree with the others. It shouldn't make any noise difference between 4 hi or 2 wd. If you went into 4 low, you'd know it for sure - very high rpm.

Get the code read. It can save you money, time, and aggravation.

Quick Reply: Service 4WD light on I 'm tired of it