Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Dakota 1997 - 2004 Dakota's

Engine swap questions

Old 01-08-2014, 11:31 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Durango
Default Engine swap questions

How difficult is it to swap out the 2.5 for the 3.9 in a '00 Dakota Sport? This is the first time I have attempted anything like this and would like to know what I am getting myself into.

Will I need to replace the wiring harness? Will the engine be compatible with the 5 speed manual tranny that is in the truck? Will I need to change motor mounts? Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 01-09-2014, 01:29 AM
Champion
2001 Dodge Dakota

Vehicle: 01 Dako 3.9 4x2
Send a message via AIM to magnethead

alot will be different. motor mounts for sure will be (I4 to V6), PCM will be different, wiring harness will be different, Not sure if trans will work or not.

68 Camaro (sold): 5.318@128 / 8.568@155 ; 2014 Dragster: 4.79@143, 2014 2X Champions!
Magnethead494.com Web & Computer Maintenance
McDermott Family Racing
Old 01-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Record Breaker
2002 Dodge Dakota

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 3.9L
siX-x

What Magnet said,

Plus you probably have the AX-15 tranny, but if you have the NV3500 then I believe it'll bolt up just fine.

But you will need new motor mounts, wiring harness, PCM.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2000 Dak Sport CC 4.7 5 speed 4x4

Actually, it should be the NV1500 that you have. It won't handle the torque - the NV3500 will bolt up.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:11 PM
Professional
2001 Dodge Dakota

Vehicle: 99 Dodge Dakota 5.2 4X4

Yep, you'll need not only the new engine, but new computer and wiring harness to go with it as well as a matching transmission. Then you'll have to figure out your motor mounts.

It's the exact same work to swap in a V8 other than plugging in the harness to 2 extra injectors. I would skip the v6 and do a v8 swap unless you already have the 6.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:55 AM
Captain
1996 Dodge Dakota

Vehicle: 96 DAKOTA

Probably other stuff like the fuel system as well (fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, larger gas tank.) And of course, when you go to the correct trans, you'll need a driveline and maybe different linkage. Front suspension? Rear end (gearing?)

Can you find a parts truck? You'll really need one.

Is your 4 cylinder dead? You might be ahead financially to dump the 4 cylinder truck and get what you want. Seems to me like you're looking at a whole lot of work time, down time, and expense to get a performance bump.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Professional
2001 Dodge Dakota

Vehicle: 99 Dodge Dakota 5.2 4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post

Is your 4 cylinder dead? You might be ahead financially to dump the 4 cylinder truck and get what you want. Seems to me like you're looking at a whole lot of work time, down time, and expense to get a performance bump.
I agree. You'd probably be money ahead to sell the 4 cyl truck and just buy a 6 or 8 cyl truck.

Now if you could find a truck witha good drivetrain that had been rolled and the body was trashed but the engine, transmission, transfer case, drivelines, ECU, and everything that go with them was good then you might be able to do this project at an affordable price.

I don't know if you will need a new fuel pump or not. Worth looking into though. You would probably be fine with your rear end to go to a 6 cyl. And typically 4 cyl trucks have lower gearing then the bigger engine versions, so you might actually have a nice little setup if that is the case. I know in Wranglers the 4 cyl models come with 4.10 axle gearing and the 6 cyl ones can be as low as 3.07. Also, you will need to find out if your exhaust will mate up to the existing exhaust on the 4 cyl. I'm sure there are other things that will pop up too.

Is the radiator in the 4 cyl trucks the same? Will it keep up with a bigger engine?

If you don't want to sell the truck another option would be to just change the axle gears. That might give you the performance increase you're looking for. What axle gear ratio do you have now?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:15 AM