2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine misfire... Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:54 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeThis01
I don't have any 200 codes only 300, 301, 303, and 305 have showed up. Started with and now have pendings on 300, and 301. There's 150k on the engine but I have not lost any coolant and engine has not over heated at all.
The magnum heads are notorious for cracking between the valves, just an FYI. There is not a fluid chamber there (supposedly) but if the crack grows than it can get to where oil or coolant (or both) can get in. I doubt that's your issue, but I know it does cause problems right before it gets bad (but you'd know).

Old 04-23-2014, 02:17 PM
DodgeThis01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question, would the PCV valve be a cause of my problem? I'm working on the truck today, just playing around checking EVERYTHING, and the PCV valve sounds like it's lose inside. I thought the plunger inside was on a spring? Is it suppose to be lose? By 'lose' I mean I tip it over and the plunger falls down, tip it back right side up, it falls closed

Old 04-23-2014, 06:05 PM
gnelson49
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeThis01
Question, would the PCV valve be a cause of my problem? I'm working on the truck today, just playing around checking EVERYTHING, and the PCV valve sounds like it's lose inside. I thought the plunger inside was on a spring? Is it suppose to be lose? By 'lose' I mean I tip it over and the plunger falls down, tip it back right side up, it falls closed
That's normal, it operates based on pressure and vacuum in the crankcase. It should be loose and rattle, it isn't then it is gummed up and needs to be replaced. It is basically a one way check valve.

Quick Reply: Engine misfire... Please help