2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

ABS and BRAKE light on, I've searched

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 07:32 PM
alaskajeff
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and BRAKE light on, I've searched

My 97 Sport 5.2 4X4 had the ABS and brake light on recently. I've searched the forum but have not found the right solution that works. It's not throwing any code that a standard OBD II reader can detect.
Here is my dilemma: There are NO ABS sensors on the front wheels and the speed sensor on the rear end seems to be working since the speedo is still operational. I have drums on the rear anyway, so I'm not sure where the problem could be. There is also a speed sensor in the T-Case, could that be it? There are 2 modules with connectors hooked up to the master cylinder that appear to be ABS related but that's all I have found. IF one of them is abd I can only imagine how much they would be to replace. Not to mention all the bleeding that is involved The fuse is good too. Braking feels normal as well, So WHAT AM I MISSING? ANY input would be greatly appreciated.
These are the modules:

BUT they are listed as REAR WHEEL ABS modules??

Last edited by alaskajeff; 04-18-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The speed sensor on the transfer case output is the one that works the speedometer, not the one on the rear axle. The rear axle sensor senses the tone ring attached to the ring gear and is only for ABS. It's also the most likely culprit. Take it out and clean it off. If that doesn't work, try replacing it.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:53 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

You have RWAL, rear wheel anti-lock brakes.

There is a code stored, the ABS light being illuminated tell us that. Unfortunately as you've found, most scanners won't read it. You need a scanner that can read ABS codes, such as the DRB III. Good shops should have the tools.

Don't even consider replacing parts until you get that code read. You could be throwing money away.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:18 PM
alaskajeff
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A
The speed sensor on the transfer case output is the one that works the speedometer, not the one on the rear axle. The rear axle sensor senses the tone ring attached to the ring gear and is only for ABS. It's also the most likely culprit. Take it out and clean it off. If that doesn't work, try replacing it.
Good information, thanks guys. So the drum brakes in the rear are ABS? They had a replacement for that sensor at O'Reillys for like $20 so it won't hurt too bad IF i have to replace it.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:26 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by alaskajeff
Good information, thanks guys. So the drum brakes in the rear are ABS? They had a replacement for that sensor at O'Reillys for like $20 so it won't hurt too bad IF i have to replace it.
I doubt you'd be able to find a shop to scan the code for that price.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:46 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

I keep getting mixed signals over what drives the speedo. When i went from 3.55 to 4.10, my speedometer offset stayed the same, about -3 from my phone (mostly tire size I think). So mine has to be driven off the tone ring. Is 4x4 different?

Old 04-19-2014, 12:50 AM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Well, my truck is exactly the same as the OP's and my speedo still works, even though I no longer have the sensor on the rear axle. So that's what I'm going by.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:31 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Well, my truck is exactly the same as the OP's and my speedo still works, even though I no longer have the sensor on the rear axle. So that's what I'm going by.
interesting. I will have to pull my ABS fuse again…as I recall before, i yanked it and speedo still worked. I almost need to pull it, since i got the lockright put in, ABS trips almost every time I get on the brakes. I can hear it go click click click click click but I don't feel it in the pedal. Not sure if something back there got knocked around or what.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:01 AM
Vladek
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

alaskajeff---- i know this is a no brainer but hey, check your brake fluid. if it is low, it will cause the abs and brake light to come on. that was the case for my 97 dakota. took me a while for that one since i went into crap mode trying to figure out what could go wrong and my brakes work good like always do.

TomA and Magnethead--- not sure how much this will help- my speedo read faster when i switched my 17's for 20's on my durango. over all tire height difference i couldn't tell you other than the durango set a little higher. at 70 i am really running at 75.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:38 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
I keep getting mixed signals over what drives the speedo. When i went from 3.55 to 4.10, my speedometer offset stayed the same, about -3 from my phone (mostly tire size I think). So mine has to be driven off the tone ring. Is 4x4 different?

Different years Magnet are set up differently. Later years use the CAB to provide the signal.

I have the NV3500 and NO transmission speed sensors, just the one on the pumpkin.

Quick Reply: ABS and BRAKE light on, I've searched